TapForms doesn’t open – Help!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

obisbis
    Participant

Folks, I was playing with Emojis in a Note field and different size fonts when all the sudden TapForms crashed and can no longer get back in. If I try to open it immediately shuts down. I can tap and hold the app icon and choose a different form to open but once I tap the form I want then it shuts down.

Should I attempt to reinstall?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks.

Here are the emojis I typed and copied just before it crashed:

? ? ?
    ? ? ? ?
    ? ?
    ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
    ? ? ?
    ? ? ? ?
    ? ?

February 8, 2020 at 2:41 AM #39528

obisbis
    Participant

Brendan, is there anything in the cache I can delete that could stop TapForms from trying to open the last record on start?

February 8, 2020 at 3:50 AM #39529

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Obisbis,

There’s a DocumentProperties.plist file which contains a selected-record key:

<key>selected-record-frm-f49181f7a0944a8f963d6e56ea9833e7</key>
    <string>rec-a6092a90d97f4d4ab516756c84c545e9</string>

There’s one for every form.

And there’s an entry for the selected form too:

<key>selected-outline-form-id</key>
    <string>frm-f49181f7a0944a8f963d6e56ea9833e7</string>

If you deleted those from the DocumentProperties.plist file then that would prevent Tap Forms from re-selecting that form upon opening the document.

You right-click on the .tapforms document in the Finder and then select Show Package Contents. You’ll see the file there.

If you can also email me the crash report that would be helpful. And if you could, email me the document that’s crashing and I can figure out why. And hopefully come up for a fix for it.

Send to support@tapforms.com

Thanks,

Brendan

February 8, 2020 at 3:52 AM #39530

Brendan
    Keymaster

The crash might be caused by something other than those Emoji characters. I pasted them into a Note field and it did not crash.

February 8, 2020 at 6:35 PM #39532

obisbis
    Participant

Updating this thread in case others run into it.

Summary: App was crashing at launch.

Tried the following without success:

– Force rebooted the iPad by holding down the Power button and Home button until the device flashed the Apple logo. Then let it boot back up and tried to use the app again.

– Quit and Re-Launched the App
    The idea behind this was that you’ll clear the app from memory and allow for a clean launch. You do this by double-clicking on the Home button to bring up the multitasking screen, Locate the application you wish to quit, then swipe up on the app to quit out of it. Hit the Home button to return to the Home Screen of iOS, then tap the app icon to re-open it again.

– Applied iOS updates. Apparently I had a pending iOS update so I updated the IOS to the latest 13.3.1. Didn’t make a difference though in stopping the crash.

– Deleted the App and Re-installed. Be very careful here. I could have lost my data have I not used the “Send Document” option prior to deleting the app.

Deleting the app also deletes it’s data unless you “offload App” instead. This is found under Settings | General | iPad Storage | Select the App from list | Tap “Offload App”. You will be prompted to offload the app and keep its data. Thanks Brendan for this info.

Deleting and Reinstalling the app did not fix the crashing issue.

Please note although the app was crashing on launch, I was able to successfully launch by selecting a different form from the start. I did this by tapping and holding the TapForms icon and selecting the Samples Form. Not the form I wanted but at least it got me to enter the app without crashing.

How fixed? Luckily I had a second iPad laying around and downloaded and installed TapForms on to it. I then AirDropped the document file (the one saved earlier using “Send Document”) to the other iPad where I was able to open there and back up as a zipped file. I then AirDropped the zipped file to the problem iPad and was able to restore the zipped file. All data was successfully restored and not a byte of data lost.

So it seemed the issue was specific to my iPad and not the document itself. I sent the crash files to Brendan for analysis, and attaching one here.

February 8, 2020 at 6:38 PM #39533

obisbis
    Participant

Renaming the file extension to allow upload of crash file.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.