TAPFORM ROCKS but…. I need help.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Heath Goodman
    Participant

Hi Brendan- Just wanted to ask- I know there has been some discussion about user roles/security/passwords for layouts, etc. I hope you are considering these options in near future updates.
    I really love your Tapform program, its easy to design and very user friendly even better than Filemaker Pro I think. I have started designing a small business database CRM/Catalog/Invoice system for my business and it looks like it would work out so beautifully… However, I will need to give access to other sales people on my team to some of the database and wanted to also lock out other parts and especially the “design mode” so that I don’t have layout nightmares with sales people accidentally modifying/deleting set layouts or deleting an entire form or database structures. I need to find a solution if I am to actually use TapForms as my business engine. Do you know if there is any solutions to these matters to use Javascripting or other implementations to making this work with TapForms? I was wondering if these things might be more easily implemented if perhaps there was a way to interface the TapForm core database to perhaps a frontend browser database application such as Open Source NuBuilder Forte https://www.nubuilder.com (which has a user role type setup) or something like it that would work as a internet accessible frontend to TapForms but make it difficult for your staff to screw up hours upon hours of database entry/forms/layouts with one accidental click of the button. Please tell me there is a solution cause up to this point TAPFORM ROCKS! I need a solution ASAP and thought TapForms was it and hope it still can be… Thanks Bro!

April 12, 2019 at 10:43 AM #34404

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Heath,

I’m glad that you’re enjoying using Tap Forms. However, Tap Forms wouldn’t interface with that NuBuilder system. At least not directly as far as I can tell. Not without a ton of work to try and setup a sync system with their database. They require PHP, a web server, and their own database back-end. I’m not sure what database they use. Tap Forms uses CouchbaseLite on top of SQLite. CouchbaseLite can interface with CouchDB, which you can run in your own environment or on a service like Amazon AWS or Microsoft Azure.

And at the moment I don’t have security controls in place to prevent someone from modifying Tap Forms or even deleting the entire database. Tap Forms was designed as a personal database environment. I know it’s become so powerful now that many customers are using it in a multi-user workgroup environment, but it always comes with the caveat that there are no fine-grained security controls built-in at the moment.

It’s definitely on my long-term radar though.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.