Tap Forms for Mac 3.5 doesn't see iOS devices

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Tap Forms for Mac 3.5 doesn't see iOS devices

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Brent McInnis
    Participant

I have recently updated to Tap Forms 4.0 on 3 different iOS devices, and Tap Forms 3.5 on my Mac.

I noticed today that syncing wasn’t working, so I reset it on all devices with the intent of starting fresh.

I’m still using iCloud syncing for now, as I don’t want to introduce a new variable into the mix until I get the old way working again.

What I’m coming up with is that, after enabling sync on all four devices, the three iOS devices all “see” each other, but none of them see the Mac, and the Mac doesn’t see any of them.

The only things I’ve tried to do to fix it have been rebooting the Mac a couple of times, and resetting sync on the Mac a couple of times. This hasn’t made any difference.

I haven’t changed the encryption key on any of the 4 devices from what it used to be when syncing worked.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

May 9, 2015 at 11:36 PM #13633

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Brent,

Do you have iCloud selected on the Sync screen in the Preferences window? Do you see the cloud icon to the left of “Registered Devices” on the Cloud Sync popover? Or do you see a red circle with a slash through it?

Thanks,

Brendan

May 10, 2015 at 5:30 AM #13639

Brent McInnis
    Participant

Brendan,

I had the circle with the red slash (I’d wondered why I’d never noticed that before) – and indeed, in preferences, I had no sync service selected. Sorry, I had just assumed that iCloud would remain the default. Selecting iCloud sync does get them syncing again.

However – I noticed that, even though new records I create now on the Mac are being synced to the iOS devices, there’s a record I edited a field in yesterday on the Mac, while syncing wasn’t working, and I notice that the data in that field is not being updated on any of the iOS devices, even after performing a sync which otherwise appears successful.

Can you tell me how to fix that?

Thank you.

May 10, 2015 at 8:26 AM #13640

Jay McMillen
    Participant

Same problem — devices will not cross-register. Each device (1 Mac, 1 iPad) shows only itself on the list of registered devices. I went through the “set encryption” procedure to no avail. I have OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 on the Mac and iOS 8.3 on my iPad.

UPDATE – – – – Same solution as above. I had the red circle with a crossbar. Didn’t realize I had to select iCloud. All better now.

May 10, 2015 at 10:20 AM #13643

Brendan
    Keymaster

I have fixed this issue for the next update. It will now tell you on the Cloud Sync popover that you need to select a sync service first if None is selected.

Brent, just do the Reset Sync procedure or try modifying that record / value again and then push the changes again. By modifying it again, it will set a new modification date on that record / value and the changes should then make it over to your other device.

May 10, 2015 at 11:37 AM #13644

Brent McInnis
    Participant

Hmmm – well, actually, I’m embarrassed to say that, when I went to implement your “reset sync procedure” suggestion, I first went back and checked the field in that record that hadn’t updated on my iOS devices, and found that it had indeed been updated, on all devices! Apparently, another sync occurred automatically after the one I observed, and that must have updated the field in question. I just didn’t wait long enough. Sorry.

So I’m good to go, except for one more question. If I want to try out the “dropbox sync” to see how much faster it starts, is there any particular sequence to follow to stay out of trouble?

My guess would be to “reset sync” on all devices first, so none of them “see” each other. Then, enable dropbox sync one at a time, waiting for each device to “see” it’s partners, then make a change on any one device and sync it up to dropbox, then watch the change appear on the other devices. Does that sound right?

Thanks,

May 10, 2015 at 12:13 PM #13646

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Brent,

Sure, that’d work.

Your first sync with Dropbox may take a little while though. And with Dropbox, syncing only happens while Tap Forms is the foreground app. But once you’ve got everything registered and the first sync has managed to finish, then subsequent syncs should happen more quickly than iCloud (in my experience).

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.