Tap Forms crashing after update + Missing images

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Tap Forms crashing after update + Missing images

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Cyf
    Participant

Hi, I just updated Tap Forms to the newest version (Version 5.3.3 (Build 1801)), hoping it would solve my problem with images gone missing, but it just made everything more complicated.

I have a very large database (300 posts) with a lot of photos in (700 Mb), and a group of the posts were showing empty image boxes after the last update, or doubling up, so that the same images would be there twice (sometimes images are only missing on one device (Mac, not iPhone)). I have been working for a while on cleaning up and re-adding new versions.

Right now, after the update, I removed and replaced an image in a post, and shortly after something went wrong during the automatic iCloud sync – while I was checking that the same image would show up on the phone (it did, but in a much too large box). Every time I open the database on the Mac now, the program crashes. (Other databases work fine). I did a backup before updating Tap Forms, and has succeeded going back to the earlier state of the file, but as soon as the sync process starts, TP crashes again. I’ve also succeeded in redownloading everything from iCloud, but the same crash arrives, as soon as I start scrolling down the list of posts.

What would be the best way of getting my database back up running? Removing everything from iCloud?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    November 6, 2018 at 2:53 PM #31668

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hmm… where do these images come from? The trouble is that Tap Forms is not able to determine the proper file extension for one or more images. I’ve got a fix for that crash which I’m going to deploy in a minute. It was one of those late testing bugs that got fixed just after 1801 was deployed. So just hang on and a fix will be coming.

Tap Forms also has new code in it to remove any duplicate references to photos. It won’t delete the photos, just the references if more than one photo referenced the same file on disk.

November 7, 2018 at 2:21 PM #31700

Cyf
    Participant

Thanks, Brendan, you work fast! No more crashes after the new update – and after doing a clean slate on iCloud and going back to the backup-file – but there are still sync-troubles between my two macs, with posts missing, and images in posts failing to show up.

I am not quite sure, but I guess it all started with the new version that changed the image fields – a lot of my posts have ended up with the same images in all the image boxes in the form. I have spend some time trying to tidy it up, and now I am a little bit afraid that the whole ‘system’ still isn’t stable and worth all the trouble.

The images all come from my Nikon camera and my iPhone, and should have the right jpg extensions, but something obviously must have gone wrong at some point. And it seems to be sync related.

I know I should have reported it earlier on, but perhaps you would like to see a copy of the (huge) file? (I also know that 700 Mb of images is a lot to ask for the program to handle).

November 7, 2018 at 5:33 PM #31709

Brendan
    Keymaster

If you’d like to email me a backup of your document I could take a look at it for you. Send to support@tapforms.com

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.