Syncing with Other Family Members

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Sameer Khera
    Participant

My daughter is getting married next year. I live in California and she and her fiance are in NYC.
    I have created a Plan in Tap Forms to manage all the various tasks including vendors, contracts etc.
    I would like to share and sync the database with her and her fiance so we can collaborate on tap forms.
    How do I do this?
    Do they have to buy licenses? Can they log into their own iCLoud and I can sync?
    Is this possible?

If so then this will be a huge deal for us, else we will have to collaborate on google docs and not Tap Forms.

Appreciate any help.

Sameer

February 12, 2018 at 12:37 AM #27326

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Sameet,

You can do this, but you would need to setup an IBM Cloudant account:

https://www.tapforms.com/help-mac/5/en/topic/ibm-cloudant-sync

The problem with syncing with iCloud is you need to share the same iCloud account. And that’s just not practical with different users. It’s fine if all devices are your own, but when it’s other people’s devices, they want to sync with their own iCloud accounts.

But with an IBM Cloudant account, you can all share the same account and it won’t affect any of your iCloud apps.

Thanks!

Brendan

February 12, 2018 at 7:13 PM #27334

Sameer Khera
    Participant

Do they all have to buy full licenses of Tap Forms for me to do this?
    Is there a cheaper/free license for just the mobile version?

February 12, 2018 at 8:35 PM #27337

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Sameet,

Each person needs to have their own purchased license of Tap Forms.

It’s how I earn a living :)

Thanks!

Brendan

February 17, 2018 at 11:58 AM #27395

Pyromixer
    Participant

You can us an Apache CouchDB also for syncing with people there are not in your Apple iCloud.
    e.g. The provider smileupps: https://www.smileupps.com/store/apps/couchdb

You only need this 3 login data for sync TapForms with your Smileupps CouchDB:

Snapshot Logindata Smileupps

Or:
    You can rent a own cloud server and install Apache CouchDB (and/or 99 other web apps) and 50GB SSD space with one click installation here:
    https://www.1and1.ca/cloud-app-center/cloud-applications

(on the german site of 1und1 a smaller package is available with 30 GB SSD space, for 4,99 Euro per month):
    https://hosting.1und1.de/dynamic-cloud-server#server-konfigurieren

February 17, 2018 at 1:55 PM #27399

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Pyromixer,

Is Apache CouchDB 1.6 working for you? I generally recommend 2.1.1. But that smileupps place doesn’t appear to support the latest version.

Brendan

February 17, 2018 at 4:00 PM #27400

Pyromixer
    Participant

Hi Brendon…

I have no idea which is the actuelly version no.of CouchDB on smileupp.com.
    I’m tested and it’s work :-) No problems.

Screenshot from iPad

It’s only a test for me. I want my own CouchDB on my webspace. But I have no skills to install that on my webspace. Maybe is it not possible and I need a complete cloudserver for that.

Maybe you can make a own CouchDB Server System for rent to your costumer of TF?

February 17, 2018 at 4:20 PM #27401

Brendan
    Keymaster

Thanks for confirming that it works with smileupps.com!

I am just one person in my company and don’t really have the time to be able to fire up my own server system to rent to anyone. It takes an enormous amount of time to manage servers, make sure they’re secure, make sure they’re online 100% of the time and that they’re redundant. Plus I never wanted to have access to my customers data and running my own server to provide syncing would allow me to see everyone’s data. Bigger companies have more resources to dedicate more personnel and time to making sure their servers are secure and reliable.

That’s why I rely on third-parties to provide the cloud syncing for Tap Forms customers.

February 17, 2018 at 10:40 PM #27402

Pyromixer
    Participant

No problem!

I understand your reasons.
    But I mean no really hardware servers at your home.
    I mean this way:

A bitnami cloud hosting plan and go!
    Bitnami Cloud Hosting

It’s running via Amazon Web Services (AWS). An AWS Account is needed for this. I have no idea about the really costs per month. I’m not an expert in this things.

Bitnami.com is a service provider for the “One-Click-Install” Web Apps. Many big hosters are using this Bitnami Service also:
    Bitnami Cloud Hoster

You can read here all documents from Bitnami how it works:
    https://docs.bitnami.com

February 18, 2018 at 12:27 AM #27403

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ya, I’ve been looking into Bitnami over the past couple of days.

There’s still an issue of costs, capacity, and security. I know that the costs are variable depending upon capacity and usage.

But what about security? I don’t know how to make it possible for me to create a single “Tap Zapp Software” account, then allow customers to create sub-accounts and sync their own databases without me having access to each of their databases with an admin account.

If you’ve seen the way the CouchDB admin interface works, there’s a list of databases that each correspond to a database document in Tap Forms. Since a customer can create as many documents as they like, this list would grow and grow in a shared environment. But maybe with user accounts, it can be made to allow people only to have access to their own list of databases with the admin interface. I’m not sure if that’s possible yet.

In my initial discussions a couple years ago with Cloudant about setting something up like this, they didn’t know how to do it so that I didn’t have access to everyone’s databases. That’s why I just recommended customers create their own Cloudant accounts. That way I didn’t have access to their data. The same can be done with these cloud accounts running your own instance of CouchDB.

But the good thing is at least there are a bunch of different options to cater to different customer needs.

Thanks!

Brendan

July 26, 2019 at 1:38 AM #36050

Benito Mueller
    Participant

Hi – I managed to sync via CouchDB between my parent’s computer and mine, but am having difficulties to synch with my iphone. The interface is completely different/has different icons. How could I make it synch with iphone too?

thx Benito

July 26, 2019 at 1:56 AM #36051

Benito Mueller
    Participant

It may be related to changing the internal document ID – but that’s greyed out on ipad/iphone – how can I change it?

July 26, 2019 at 10:44 AM #36057

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Benito,

It would never be a good idea to change the internal Document ID of your document. That’s why there’s no function to change it. When two documents have different internal Document IDs, it means they’re not the same document and started life out separately. Even if they have the same filename, they’re not the same document.

So to rectify this problem, you must use the Send Document function to send a copy of the document that you do want to sync to your other devices.

See this topic in the online user manual for sending a document to another device:

https://www.tapforms.com/help-mac/5.3/en/topic/send-to-another-device

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.