Syncing with itunes database

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

timelapse
    Participant

Hi i’m looking for a database app for my iphone which will work best with my itunes database.

so far tap forms looks very good. i was just wondering if there was a quick way of syncing and editing the databases including artwork?

May 6, 2010 at 5:48 AM #4080

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Timelapse,

Unfortunately the only way will be for you to extract the data from iTunes into a CSV file that you can then import into Tap Forms. The artwork would need to be copied separately to Tap Forms using the built-in WebDAV or FTP server and then linked to your records by way of a File Attachment field. I’m not aware off the top of my head any programs that will convert the iTunes XML file to a CSV file that you can import, but there might be something out there on the Internet.

Thanks,

Brendan

May 6, 2010 at 6:22 AM #4084

timelapse
    Participant

Hi, using csv files isnt too much of a prob. but copying the art would mean do it one form at a time?

Another question i have is on the form list it displays the data held in field 1 in bold and then field 2 as a sub cat. is there a way of customizing this so i can see the info in fields 3 and 4 etc at a glance?

May 6, 2010 at 6:48 AM #4085

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Timelapse,

There is a trick in associating a file attachment with a file via a CSV import. What you need to do is copy all the photos to a folder on the Files tab first. Then, in your CSV file, add a column with the type in angled brackets. For example: Artwork<file>

Then, in the data rows for your CSV file, put a value like this for each of your Artwork values: /Artwork/001.jpg

That implies your photos are inside a folder called Artwork on the Files tab.

Let me know if that makes sense and if it works for you. The only caveat is that the file attachment, even though it’s an image, isn’t really treated like a photo. It will not use the photo edit view to display your photo. Instead, it will use the web viewer to view your photo and your photo won’t have a thumbnail generated for it. It will use a generic JPG icon for JPEG images, etc.

You can customize the list view fonts to make them smaller or not bold or change the font face itself. But if you have a photo field as your first field, then Tap Forms will display the photo field thumbnail on the left of the next two fields. So at maximum you can see 3 fields. The same goes for the check mark field. Except with the check mark field, the check mark is live on the list view. You can tap on it to check and un-check it.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.