Syncing over iPad hotspot using 4G

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

LeoC2
    Participant

Just tested a new location that has no wifi. It does have cell access but the data stream is only 4G and not LTE.

I set the iPad to be a hotspot and the iPods to connect to the iPad hotspot. Nothing syncs in TapForms however.

Is this the way it is because of 4G or am I doing something wrong?

I really wish I could sync all devices over Bluetooth and be done with it!

June 16, 2015 at 4:00 PM #14026

LeoC2
    Participant

OK so this is odd. I just tested this again but I’m at my desk. I turned off WIFI in the house, set the iPad as a personal hotspot with LTE turned off and had my Mac and iPods access the hotspot which is using 4G.

Everything syncs fine!

Could it be the cellular signal strength? Here it is full bars while at the field location it’s only 2.

June 17, 2015 at 1:53 PM #14034

LeoC2
    Participant

OK I found the problem, it’s almost surely signal strength. I went back to the location and syncing would not occur with only 1 or 2 ATT bars on the iPad being used as a personal hotspot. However, when I changed to a higher location at the facility and got 3 bars syncing worked fine. I went back to the 1 bar spot, no sync.

Brendan, perhaps this is a timeout issue?

June 19, 2015 at 7:48 AM #14048

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Leo,

Tap Forms only checks to make sure you have an Internet connection before it allows sync to happen. But maybe that result is coming back no with a low signal. Not sure.

Brendan

June 19, 2015 at 1:28 PM #14050

LeoC2
    Participant

Seems to be the case Brendan. May I suggest you have TF notify the user that no connection was made? I had no idea until I noticed no sync. Perhaps just a pop up would help.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.