Syncing (most likely 'revisited')

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

OkieG8r
    Participant

I am a HEAVY Bento user (most useful iOS App I have). Since it will soon no longer work with iOS and OS updates (I’ve stayed at iOS 7.1.2 and OS 10.9.5 just to ensure continued Bento functionality), I have been searching of a replacement and my searches keep leading me to TapForms.

I take it from a brief perusal that the only sync option at present is via iCloud. One thing I love about Bento, is it keeps my private data on my devices only. I really like everything I see about TapForms, but do not wish to store any private data on iCloud (even though it is encrypted).

I suspect I am not alone in such concerns. Is setting up a wired or wireless sync option in the works?

Taps looks really good to me and probably could make me forget about Bento divorcing me if such a sync feature is available; otherwise I would need to go to two solutions to replace one.

Would appreciate any ideas or solutions other may have had to deal with the iCloud sync issue or any feedback on future changes.

Thanks!

June 28, 2015 at 3:01 PM #14113

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Okie,

Yes, a WiFi sync option is in the works actually. And Tap Forms does currently also sync with Dropbox as well as iCloud.

If you don’t need a true sync function, you could also use the Backup & Restore function. So you could do all your editing with Tap Forms on Mac and then make a backup which you can then restore to the iOS version of Tap Forms. You can also go the other way too, but you’d have to be careful that you didn’t make changes on your Mac that you don’t want overwritten if you restore a backup to it made from the iOS device. With that method, you can use iTunes File Sharing to transfer the Tap Forms backup files between your devices. No WiFi or cloud sync necessary.

Thanks,

Brendan

June 28, 2015 at 6:50 PM #14119

OkieG8r
    Participant

Thanks, Bendan.

That would be great! Any idea when it might be available?

August 18, 2015 at 6:43 PM #14461

OkieG8r
    Participant

Brendan,

Has there been any developments in this area (wiFi or hardwire syncing)?

Looking forward to using your program.

August 18, 2015 at 10:59 PM #14470

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’m working on a big upgrade to Tap Forms which will provide WiFi syncing built-in. But it’s still in development. I’ll be releasing a minor update along side iOS 9 and OS X 10.11, but that won’t have any changes to syncing in it. The big upgrade will have a completely new syncing infrastructure. You’ll be able to select nearby devices and sync with them directly over WiFi without going over the cloud.

I don’t have an ETA for it, but I am working on it day and night.

Thanks,

Brendan

December 11, 2015 at 12:55 PM #15449

OkieG8r
    Participant

Brendan – just checking to see if the changes in sync options are near…
    Looking forward to using them when they become available.
    Thanks.

December 11, 2015 at 1:02 PM #15450

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Okie,

I’m still about 4 or 5 months away from this. I have just begun working with the iOS version for the past couple of weeks to migrate it over to the new database engine. I have sync working between Macs over WiFi (without the cloud), and now I have to get it working on iOS. I’ve also been working on the current version of Tap Forms for Mac and iOS fixing bugs and adding a new feature in here and there. For example, the 3.5.10 update for Mac will now let you print to a specific label position on a sheet of labels.

It’s still coming along nicely though. When I’m ready for it, I’ll send out a call for customers who want to beta test the new version.

Thanks!

Brendan

March 12, 2016 at 11:16 PM #16087

PatG
    Participant

Hello

I have info in the database I do not want to leave my office to the cloud. Just want you to know there are those out here still interested in WiFi Sync, just like in Bento.

March 13, 2016 at 9:38 PM #16090

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Pat,

I’m getting much closer now to finishing this. Probably 2 months out now.

The WiFi sync in Tap Forms will be better than Bento’s since you won’t really even have to do anything other than launch Tap Forms on each device. It’ll find each other on the network and start the sync process automatically.

Thanks!

Brendan

May 6, 2016 at 4:53 PM #16541

PatG
    Participant

Another reason I need wi-fi sync is that this iCloud sync seems buggy and inconsistent. Once again I wiped clean the program on 3 machines, restored the backup info on all 3, made sure that they all showed up in the registration window and had recently been synced. But when I add some records to tapforms to one of the machines, it took a long time to show up on one of the other machines and never showed up at all on the other machine. No error messages. They are just acting like they are syncing, bit that auto-sync function just doesn’t seem to work most of the time. Basically I’ve been reduced to only making changes on one machine and carrying around the backup file in the office to the other machines several times a day.

May 7, 2016 at 12:18 AM #16551

Brendan
    Keymaster

WiFi sync is coming. It’s currently in beta testing.

May 11, 2016 at 6:13 PM #16637

Tuncay Tasci
    Participant

WiFi option will be very well. We are waiting…

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.