Syncing iMacs and iOS Devices with iCloud

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Syncing iMacs and iOS Devices with iCloud

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Brian Kober
    Participant

I’m having an issue recently with using the iCloud sync. Perusing the forum here gave me some things to try, but so far no luck. I have an iMac, iPhone, and iPad, all using the latest version of TF. The file on my iMac is what I consider the “master” file. I couldn’t get it to sync to my phone, the date on the bottom right of the screen says “Last Uploaded: 09/10/19”. When I go to File -> Sync Now, nothing happens (that i can see). Cutting to the chase, I followed one of Brendan’s posts and backed up the data, disabled iCloud sync from all devices, went into iCloud and manually deleted the file data (starting from a clean slate), and tried again to enable iCloud sync, but all i get is the spinning circle. I also duplicated the document, renamed it, and tried enabling iCloud sync, but I just get the same spinning circle. The only other thing I can think of is the size of the TF document, which is a strangely large 6.6GB (I have about 3500 records, with a dozen or so text fields each, used to have photos but I thought I deleted them all). Any help to get back up and running would be most appreciated!

February 2, 2020 at 2:09 AM #39430

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Brian,

Well 6.6 GB is definitely going to be a problem.

If you say you deleted them, then I would recommend going into the Maintenance screen and clicking on the Compact Database button. That will purge the database of all the images that are no longer being referenced.

That may help you to get sync working.

Also you can use the Send Document function to send an exact copy of your document from your master to your other devices. Then enable sync on them. You know that you’ll be starting with the exact same document if you do it that way.

Thanks,

Brendan

March 6, 2020 at 6:46 AM #39765

Simon Smailus
    Participant

I’m also having issues. I duplicate a database (either mac or iOS) and it synchronises, but none of the forms appear nor any of the records? I’ve tried this a couple of times, but each time the same problem. If I create a new form in the database the new form appears and syncs, but not the existing ones from the duplication process.

March 6, 2020 at 7:28 AM #39767

Simon Smailus
    Participant

I’ve done some more testing and sure enough iCloud is problematic. I disabled sync via iCloud and did a wireless sync of the database and all forms and records appeared.

March 14, 2020 at 12:35 PM #39876

Edd Nichols
    Participant

I’m also using wireless sync (I think) and still not sure I’m transferring my Document from my computer to my iPhone. Bottom right corner of my computer version (Master?) there’s ‘Sync fetching’ with a spinning wheel. Is that what I want to see? And how long should that take? It’s probably been 20 minutes so far. I have no photos in my database.
    Also, Brendan, I don’t see a Send Document function anywhere. What am I missing?
    Thanks, Edd

March 14, 2020 at 1:48 PM #39877

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Edd,

The Send Document function is under the File menu. But also available on the main Database Documents list window by clicking on the share button there.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.