Syncing between Mountain Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite?

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Syncing between Mountain Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

gzamba
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

I have TapForms syncing between a MacBook running Mountain Lion, two iMacs currently running Mavericks, an iphone 5s running ios7 and an iPad 3 also running IOS 7.
    I understand TapForms has to run the same version on all similar devices – is that true?
    If I upgrade one of my iMacs to Yosemite (that’s the only one supporting it), I oeuld then have to update tap forms to the latest Yosemite-compatible version, but the others will stay on an older version…
    Will I be able to sync then?
    Also what happens if I buy a new macbook already on Yosemite? how can I keep my syncing working?

Many thanks for your help

October 27, 2014 at 5:00 PM #11415

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Gzamba,

As soon as you install Yosemite and enable iCloud Drive, you’ll need to upgrade all of your other devices to iOS 8 and Yosemite. When you enable iCloud Drive, Apple freezes syncing of your file with older operating system versions. Tap Forms Mac will require you to enable iCloud Drive on Yosemite, so that will be a problem for you.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 28, 2014 at 9:22 AM #11433

gzamba
    Participant

So, if I do not enable iCloud Drive, can I still sync between different versions of tap forms?

October 28, 2014 at 8:24 PM #11465

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Gzamba,

I haven’t tested that scenario, so I can’t make any guarantees on that. The database structure in the latest version of Tap Forms has additional data that is stored. Although I’ve made sure that should not be a problem, there may be edge cases which I have not addressed. So all I can say is give it a try, but I make no guarantees it will work.

I am working on a performance update which will radically change the database structure and will no longer have any hope of syncing with any older versions of Tap Forms than the one that contains this change.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 1, 2014 at 5:37 PM #11541

genevare
    Participant

Hi Brendan. I have the same issue, running a MacPro in 10.9 and my Macbook on 10.10. Would it somehow be possible to upload the TF database to a cloud drive (e.g. Dropbox, Copy…)? So I could access the same file (not at the same time though) with two computers. I am doing this with my Bento Database.

November 3, 2014 at 1:25 AM #11554

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Jörg,

Tap Forms stores its database here:

~/Library/Containers/com.tapforms.mac/Data/Documents

It’s called TapForms_db.sqlite

You could maybe soft link that to a network volume, but I wouldn’t really recommend it and I have not tested that.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 3, 2014 at 5:52 PM #11579

genevare
    Participant

Hi Brendan. Thanks for your reply. Seems not to work. When placing an alias it asks for encryption key, but the one set doesn’t work.
    I’m going to try now if I can manually replace the database file on my laptop with the master file on my Desktop instead of going through the backup process (which involves more steps).

Thanks,
    Joerg

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.