Synchronizing data between iPhone and iPad version

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Synchronizing data between iPhone and iPad version

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

kcnaylor
    Participant

The backup on iPhone and restore to iPad worked great moving my iPhone TapForms files to the iPad the first time. I’m wondering what the recommended approach is going forward to keep files on the two versions in sync. It would be nice to have the two versions of TapForms mirror each other but I’m not sure I see a way without limiting all my updates for all files to either the iPad or iPhone and always doing the backup/restore thing from the ‘updateable’ version to the ‘read-only’ version. I suppose I could try to use import and export but I don’t believe it it handles several of the field types.

Am I missing something. Is there a better way to keep files synchronized or something in the works.

May 17, 2011 at 9:58 PM #4601

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Kcnaylor,

Sync is something I am planning on adding, but haven’t had time to start on it yet. You can always export a form and its records as a CSV file and import them into the other device. Or you can beam an individual record from one device to the other.

Thanks,

Brendan

September 16, 2011 at 7:28 AM #4841

quirkybe
    Participant

Hi Brendan. Thanks for such a fantastic App-worth every penny! I appreciate you’re busy, but is there any chance you could work in the sync facility from iPhone to iPad-it would transform my working life! Many thanks, Robbie

September 16, 2011 at 7:34 AM #4842

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Quirkybe,

Yes, I do intend on starting sync soon. I’ve been working on the Mac desktop app for the past couple of weeks plus working on a few odds and ends for the iOS versions. I need to still figure out iCloud as I’m going to be using that for sync between all 3 platforms (iPhone, iPad, and Mac).

Thanks!

Brendan

November 16, 2011 at 1:09 PM #4934

DaveFF
    Participant

Hi Brendan

Any update on the syncing between iPad and iPhone? Will we be seeing this this year?

Thanks

November 16, 2011 at 6:36 PM #4935

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Dave,

Unfortunately not at the moment. I’m trying to integrate iCloud sync, but unfortunately it requires the use of CoreData which came out about a year after I built Tap Forms. I would love to switch to CoreData, but that would prevent the use of my full-database encryption feature, so that’s out of the question. So… right now I’m encountering some technical difficulties with implementing this. As soon as I can get over this particular technical hurdle with using a new technology called NSIncrementalStore, then I hope to make some progress on iCloud sync.

But for now, I have no idea when I will get that implemented. The sooner the better as far as I’m concerned. In the meantime I’ve been working on Tap Forms Mac to try and move that along. As well as fixing and adding features to Tap Forms for iPhone and iPad.

Thanks!

Brendan

January 30, 2012 at 5:51 AM #5052

TechFan
    Participant

I hope you have success overcoming the syncing challenges. As mentioned, I am trying to go a move and pack out with multiple users documenting the contents of each box they pack. It would be very helpful for some sort of live multiple user options.

I know one of the reasons we didn’t end up using it like we hoped at the office is because we all wanted a copy of the same data on each of our devices instead of a manual transfer process. We wanted to be able to add from many places, but all always have the complete data.

Thanks.

February 6, 2012 at 5:24 AM #5084

stikehon
    Participant

According to me direct transfer & synchronization of data between iPhone and iPad is not possible. But it can be possible if you have all the data on central shared database. I didn’t try this…..but i think this idea would definitely work.

iPad Repair | Macbook Repair

April 24, 2012 at 2:17 PM #5181

briancharles
    Participant

Not having a universal app would be ok if the data could be shared better/intuitively like sync. It is my understanding that a backup and restore is not a good option because the restore will wipe out data on the receiving end. Exporting and Importing is not really clean considering the capabilities of today’s computing and that this is an iPhone, iPad app. Hope you have something worked out soon! Thanks!

April 24, 2012 at 6:09 PM #5182

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’m working on iCloud sync.

Thanks,

Brendan

April 25, 2012 at 7:05 PM #5191

briancharles
    Participant

Sweet!! My wife and I share tasks/lists through iCloud with an app called Errands. It has been a good way of keeping things in sync.

Thanks!

May 21, 2012 at 10:20 AM #5202

aldenbaker
    Participant

This needs to be remedied asap. Surely lots of people will use the same app on both their iPhone/iPod touch and iPad and will want their information updated across devices.

For more info: iPhone Water Damage Repair Los Angeles | iPhone Repair Los Angeles

May 21, 2012 at 10:24 AM #5203

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Aiden,

I am working on iCloud sync every day now. It’s my main goal for the next update. So far it’s going very well. I have syncing working for the most part. Just making sure it works right before I release it. It’s pretty cool actually to see your data syncing between devices.

Thanks!

Brendan

May 23, 2012 at 2:11 AM #5207

fdsimon
    Participant

Thanks for your hard work. I have been using Tap Forms and like the functionality as it keeps all my important data in one place. I love the customization options too. However, since I am switching between iPad and iPod, I would need to synchronize both device because sometimes I edit in iPad, then in iPod. Thank you for working on this.

Regards,

David Simon

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.