Synched documents are different sizes on two devices

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Synched documents are different sizes on two devices

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Susan Rogers
    Participant

I have finally figured out how to sync my TF documents over iCloud, and I’ll probably end up submitting a re-write for the website page to Brendan to help others. But one strange thing: on my iMac, where the documents were originally created, the file sizes are abnormally large for what they contain. For example, I have four genealogy research documents that show on the TF5 opening “dashboard” that they are 5.7, 5.5, 5.6 and 5.6MB each. Each of these has 15 or fewer forms in them so far: text only, no photos, no document embedded. A larger document with more forms, that DOES have a few photos and documents inserted into forms, is a smaller file size: 4.6MB.

BUT on my laptop, after finally getting all the documents to populate after synching, the four text-only documents are smaller file sizes: all 1.8MB each. The fifth one with the photos/docs is 3.6MB.

The smaller sizes make sense to me — seems very odd that a document with 6 text-only forms would be 5.7MB — the laptop version at 1.8MB is still big but at least it’s a lot smaller.

Any explanation for that?

January 15, 2019 at 4:01 PM #33454

Brendan
    Keymaster

As you use Tap Forms, adding, deleting, and updating things, Tap Forms stores each of those revisions in the database. So that could cause the sizes of the same document to appear different on different devices. Especially if you’ve simply synced the documents and didn’t do any work on them.

You could try the Compact Database function on the Maintenance screen in Preferences. Then close and re-open the document to see if the size goes down.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.