Sync Tap Forms data across multiple iPhones

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Sync Tap Forms data across multiple iPhones

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

ocinsf
    Participant

I currently use 2 iPhones- 1 for use in the U.S. and another that is JB/Unlocked for overseas use as I travel frequently for business.

A few questions:

1. Will the desktop Mac app allow you to sync my Tap Forms data onto multiple phones?

2. I just replaced my iPhone 3G with a new 3GS. Although I regularly backed up my original 3G phone with iTunes, when I synced my new 3GS phone the Tap Forms app loaded onto my new phone, but all of the data is not present – it is as if I downloaded the application new from the app store. How do I get the data I had built into my 3G iPhone (which I still have, and which still has all of my Tap Forms data in it) moved over to my new 3GS.

3. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get out the desktop app ASAP to make this app truly awesome! It is great now, but I have a TON of information that I would like to add to my Tap Forms database, but I cannot spend a year entering the data from my iPhone!

My congrats on a great app, and look forward to you making this an amazing app with the desktop app ASAP.

December 14, 2009 at 3:32 AM #3859

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Ocinsf,

1. I haven’t built the sync part of Tap Forms Mac just yet, but I’ll do my best to make it work on multiple iPhones.

2. Use SyncDocs to backup Tap Forms to your desktop computer. Then restore it to your other iPhone.

3. I’m working on it. But you can always use the import functionality to get your data in more quickly than typing it on the iPhone.

Thanks so much!

Brendan

January 16, 2010 at 3:09 PM #3899

surface
    Participant

Hi, I used SyncDocs to backup the data to my pc, and then restore it to my other iPhone. Well, I should say it works, but there’s a BIG BIG BUG in terms of security: coz some of the data was protected by password on iPhone 1, but after restored onto iPhone 2, all these data were NOT protected by the password of iPhone 1 anymore, but they can be accessed only by the new password set on iPhone 2! woooow….This is TOO DANGEROUS mate!

If I lost my iphone, someone can just use SyncDocs to backup the data then restore to another iPhone/iTouch and can access all these “protected data” by their new password. Damn.

January 16, 2010 at 9:06 PM #3900

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Surface,

Did you just use the passcode function? Or did you use the encryption function? Because with the encryption function, your records are still locked. In fact, even when restored to another phone. You need to go to the Set Encryption Key section in Tools to type in the same encryption key you used on your other phone, otherwise you won’t be able to view your records on the new phone. But if you’re talking about the passcode lock function (the 4 digit code), then yes, this will happen. That’s because the passcode is stored on the iPhone’s keychain. If it exists, I ask for it and validate it against the value stored in the keychain. With a backup & restore via SyncDocs, the keychain doesn’t get copied to the new phone. If I stored the passcode in the database, someone could just edit the database and remove that anyway. One thing that I need to do for a future update is enable full database encryption, which will prevent you from opening the database altogether without the encryption key. At this point in time I have only enabled field-level encryption which means only those fields you designate as being encrypted are.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.