Sync Status

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

alang
    Participant

I have seen some posts that cover aspects of this; perhaps I missed an existing post already for it. From previous posts, I realize to sync with iCloud means that Tap Forms writes a file to iCloud then iCloud writes on its own schedule.

I move a great deal between desktop and mobile devices as well as being in different places; so I often am closing my desktop or mobile. As far as Tap Forms syncing, I’d like to know when it is ok to close or shutdown a device. I see various indicators but is there a definite way to know when – both on mobile and desktop:

(Upload part of sync)
    1. Tap Forms has completed writing its changes file to iCloud.

(Download part of sync)
    2. Tap Forms has completed reading and making changes based on a changes file.

Thank you

• This topic was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by alang.
    February 23, 2023 at 2:29 PM #49013

Brendan
    Keymaster

You can see when Tap Forms is syncing at the bottom of the screen in Tap Forms for Mac. Wait for that to finish before closing your Mac.

On iOS you can see that within a document on the Tools screen.

If you close and re-open a document, Tap Forms will kick off a sync. There may or may not be anything for it to sync at that moment, but it will still show you that it’s doing something.

The numbers you see incrementing are not the count of records. They’re a sequence number that the database engine keeps track of for sync purposes. Every time you make any kind of change to your database, the sequence number is incremented. I just display that counter so you can see something is happening. The number on the right of the slash is the largest sequence number in the database.

February 23, 2023 at 2:30 PM #49015

alang
    Participant

Thank you!

February 25, 2023 at 6:14 AM #49030

alang
    Participant

Two follow up questions, please. But first: Please note, I have not had any problems. Syncing (for me on iCloud) has been great. I just would like to have a clear picture.

1. When a sync is performed on one document, is a sync performed on all the user’s documents? That is, if you wanted to make sure there is a current sync, do you have to go into each document separately?

2. On a very, very general level, are sync conflicts presented to the user? For example, if a change is made on a device which is offline, then later (while that first device is still offline) a conflicting change is made on a different device which is online?

Thank you

February 25, 2023 at 11:00 AM #49033

Brendan
    Keymaster

1. Yes. Sync is on a per document basis. You can even choose a different sync service per document.

2. No. Sync conflicts aren’t presented. It’s last change wins.

February 25, 2023 at 12:19 PM #49041

alang
    Participant

Got it. Thanks!

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.