Sync Problem

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

tonyt
    Participant

Hi
    I am using TF latest on Big Sur and iPad iOS 14. Generally iCloud sync seems to work but, first thing in the morning if I change a record on the iPad it sends the change. However, if I then look at the iMac, nothing! If I then change that record on the iMac it sends the sync and the iPad picks it up straight away!
    Any ideas / thoughts welcome…

August 12, 2021 at 12:45 AM #44951

tonyt
    Participant

Should add, in dark mode on iPad in multi column view, none of the dates modified show up. They do in list view however!
    Maybe a corrupted form? Or I’m doing something stupid – far more likely! Old age creeps up on everyone!
    Cheers…

August 14, 2021 at 12:22 AM #44961

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Tony,

Just for a test, try making two changes on the iPad to see if the Mac picks up the changes.

I’ll have to look into the date modified issue in dark mode on iOS.

Thanks,

Brendan

August 15, 2021 at 4:00 AM #44977

tonyt
    Participant

I made two changes first thing in two forms, one syncd ok, other not! Corrupted form on iPad? Changes made on the Mac seem to sync back ok to the ipad???

August 15, 2021 at 10:39 PM #44989

Brendan
    Keymaster

It almost sounds like a Nearby Sync issue when you have only one direction enabled for syncing. Could it be you’re actually using Nearby Sync and you don’t have the connection setup from the iPad back to the Mac?

August 16, 2021 at 5:31 AM #44993

tonyt
    Participant

No, iCloud sync as always I’m afraid.

August 24, 2021 at 4:10 AM #45028

tonyt
    Participant

Any thoughts? Sometimes it does sync, sometimes not!

August 25, 2021 at 12:23 PM #45035

Dean Harris
    Participant

Hi Tony.

That’s the exact same issue I am encountering. The initial sync works, but follow-up changes often do not sync using iCloud OR Nearby sync. I recently thought I had it resolved but after creating a new document and trying again, it only worked a few times and then right back to the same behavior. And I only have this issue on my iPad. The iPhone syncs flawlessly using the exact same forms.

At this point I’m at a loss and looking into a different solution.

August 26, 2021 at 3:58 AM #45042

tonyt
    Participant

Maybe a delay in syncing both ways. My iPad sends a change record sync straight away. If I wait long enough it shows on my Mac. Sometimes its very quick, other times very slow to show. Maybe something to do with iCloud sync causing a delay?
    Cheers Dean…

August 26, 2021 at 4:33 PM #45102

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

iCloud APIs have all sorts of non-transparent rate limits applied to them that can slow stuff down, especially if you make a large amount of changes. I believe each change is attempted to be sync’d immediately and if you have a record with ten fields then changing each of them is ten changes, 11 if it’s a new record as the empty record needs to sync. If iCloud is rate limiting this will mean the changes are backed up waiting to be pushed.

These rate limits also apply to Apple’s own products though at a much higher rate. I’ve watched Notes progressively sync down from iCloud on a clean install over a half an hour period. The advantage Apple has is their stuff has more access to background tasks.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.