Sync hasn't worked since iOS 8

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author

HappyTapper
    Participant

Hi Brendan, I think I’ve tried everything including turning on Keychain. On both my iOS devices, iCloud is enabled in the OS, iCloud is enabled in the App and I’ve set the encryption keys several times on both devices.

I’ve tried the instructions in the support page too.

Once I follow the instructions and turn on iCloud Sync in the app. All I get for the registered devices is the device name for device on which TapForms is running.

The other devices don’t ever seem to show up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

October 18, 2014 at 10:30 AM #11139

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi

I would recommend signing off iCloud and then signing back on again on each of your devices.

That should get things going again. If you’re also using the Mac version then you’ll need to upgrade to OS X 10.10 Yosemite and enable iCloud Drive on all your devices.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 20, 2014 at 12:22 PM #11178

HappyTapper
    Participant

After a day, the iPhone and iPad devices showed up in the TF sync settings screen. Once that happened, I initiated a sync on the iPad which had the latest data. A day or so later, and for the first time in weeks, TF on the iPhone did a fetch and ran an update.

Unfortunately, it wasn’t the latest data that was sent up a day earlier.

Any ideas or should I still try signing out of iCloud on the devices’ settings screens.

Thanks!

October 20, 2014 at 2:24 PM #11179

Evamusica
    Participant

Hello
    I’ve the same problem with the iphone and ipad, the latest data that was sent up a day earlier too wasn’t update on those device. My macbook air and my imac works good together. but not iphone and ipad.
    Thanks !

October 20, 2014 at 4:57 PM #11181

Jake Xon
    Participant

Sync is behaving very strange after 8.1. Slow and sporadic.

October 20, 2014 at 8:50 PM #11185

Brendan
    Keymaster

Perhaps Apple’s iCloud servers have some catching up to do and things are taking a while. I would give it some time to see if it eventually works.

I wrote post which contains some more information on how you can diagnose the issue:

‘Synchronization Failed’ error message? Read this.

Hopefully there’s some information there that helps you.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 21, 2014 at 6:56 AM #11188

Leo
    Participant

Brendan,

today I updated OSx. After that I set iCloud drive to ON on all my devices.
    Used your procedure: log out of iCloud on all devices, logged on again. BUT stil no other device shows up in the list op registered devices than the one device itself.
    Syncing seems to work one way: Sending, there is no show of receiving.

Any help would be appreciated so I get things working before the business starts after a holiday.

Leo

October 21, 2014 at 10:03 AM #11189

HappyTapper
    Participant

I will check out your instructions again. But I don’t think it’s TF. I have other apps that don’t seem to be syncing to the cloud. For example, 1Password and eWallet never seem to sync either.

October 21, 2014 at 1:42 PM #11195

Brendan
    Keymaster

Leo, in the other thread you said that you managed to get multiple devices to show up and for some to sync too. Just putting that here for others to know.

October 22, 2014 at 3:38 AM #11232

Leo
    Participant

All right, finally got everything working….

Have done and tried a lot, but my guess is to try everything.

1. make a backup!!!!!!
    2. turn every device off from syncing.
    3. reset sync on every device
    4. delete in iCloud settings the documents and data setting of Tapform Lite

5. turn sync on and wait for the device to show in the list on an other device. Then create a test record and sync… wait to see if this syncs
    6 and so on for other device (step 5).

so make a testrecord on every device you have nd test is first before turning sync on another device on

turning sync on off a few times seems to work but I can’t say for sure.

I also did turn off / on syncing for taprooms in iCloud setting on the device (iOS)

Even tried deleting and reinstalling TF on one device that didn’t show other devices in the sync list.

Logging off / on in iCloud on every device was the first I tried (didn’t help)

Somehow after a lot of trying everything is joke now….
    Leo

October 22, 2014 at 11:26 AM #11241

Brendan
    Keymaster

And by “everything is joke now”, I am assuming you mean “ok” :-)

October 22, 2014 at 11:28 AM #11242

Brendan
    Keymaster

However, I wonder if all this song and dance stuff just means that it has taken iCloud some time to sync all your data. I wonder if you had left it alone for a day or so that it would have eventually caught up and everything would just have been ok? It’s hard to say. iCloud has always had a mind of its own.

Remember, all I’m doing is saving files in a special folder. I don’t even call any specific code that tells the operating system to start uploading files. It just happens.

October 22, 2014 at 11:29 AM #11243

Leo
    Participant

Yes, automatic correction (in Dutch)..

joke = Ok

October 22, 2014 at 11:57 AM #11249

Leo
    Participant

Thought of that too but way was the ipad left out?
    Maybe you’re right and is patience the keyword here.

November 10, 2014 at 7:05 AM #11682

HappyTapper
    Participant

Syncing happens on the iPhone 6 but the database records don’t match what is on the iPad (which is the only place I’ve been making changes since iOS 8). Any idea what might be happening?

I’ve restored the iPad database to the iPhone and am hoping that it will start syncing properly again.

Thanks!

November 10, 2014 at 1:20 PM #11687

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’ve released version 3.9.2 today with some changes to iCloud sync. Can you update all your iOS devices to that, then Reset iCloud Sync, then re-enable iCloud sync, then tap the upload to iCloud button on ONE device only, then wait for the other to auto-sync. Then do the same on the other device (the upload part, not the reset iCloud sync part).

Thanks,

Brendan

November 10, 2014 at 2:58 PM #11695

Leo
    Participant

Brendan, just updated..automatic. But…
    Tf freezes after startup, from there just a crash
    Not a relaiable situation. Need tf for business.
    Leo

November 10, 2014 at 3:14 PM #11696

Jake Xon
    Participant

Seams to work fine for me. Disconnected the Mac though in wait for the Appstore update.

November 10, 2014 at 4:51 PM #11699

Brendan
    Keymaster

Leo,

That’s not a Tap Forms specific issue actually.

Please see this article:

http://awkwardhare.com/post/101086874780/ios-8-1-icloud-random-hanging-issues

iOS 8.1.1 should fix it. I know it used to freeze on me all the time, but since upgrading to iOS 8.1.1, that has mostly stopped.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 10, 2014 at 10:59 PM #11702

Leo
    Participant

Brendan,

I’m running 8.1.1

It seems that the whole procedure of downloading all pictures and attachments is done over again?

Freezing is on all devices.

I’ll just wait and have patience..

Leo

November 13, 2014 at 8:41 AM #11726

HappyTapper
    Participant

There’s a good chance this might be working now. On my iPhone, after the TF update, the iCloud sync had turned itself off. I didn’t turn it back on.

On the iPad this morning, I reset the iCloud Sync, then turned sync on and uploaded the database. Waited a few hours and went to the iPhone. When I loaded the iCloud Sync screen in the app, it had turned itself back on and saw that it had both devices in the list.

A few seconds later I saw the sync messages start scrolling by. Now, both devices have both devices registered.

I can’t really tell if sync is working as the database were the same on both devices but I’m confident it’s working again.

Thanks

November 17, 2014 at 5:49 AM #11787

HappyTapper
    Participant

Update: Sync is now working but it’s one or two days before the records become available to the device with the older information. Not sure if this is an iCloud or a TF problem. If it’s iCloud, maybe DropBox should be used for sync services instead of iCloud.

Cheers!

Viewing 21 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.