Switching from Bento

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Karen Simon
    Participant

I’ve been using Bento and I want to ask a couple of questions before I decide to use Tap Forms.

I’ll be using it on both my Mac and iPad. My Mac is running Lion and I saw where I need to upgrade to Mountain Lion. I’m checking to make sure that my design software will be compatible for the upgrade. So, in the meantime I thought I would try it on my iPad.

Here are my questions:
    1. Will I be able to import my Bento database to my iPad, or should that be done to the Mac first, then sync with the iPad?
    2. I’ll be using Tap Forms for my business database, which I used Smart Collections a LOT in Bento. I have it set up just the way I want, and my big fear is I’ll lose all the relationships. Does the import of Bento files use the Bento Template file or do you import each collection separately and have to link the relationships in Tap Forms.

Hope that made sense! I’m anxious to try this, but I’ve spent $$ on other apps and software that just didn’t work out.

Thanks!

December 4, 2014 at 12:05 AM #12084

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Karen,

1. You can import Bento files into the iPad version, but only in the CSV file format. So that would lose all of your relationships unfortunately. So you may want to import into the Mac version first since it has a dedicated Bento template importer which will maintain connections to your Related Data items. Just make sure that when you export your Bento template from Bento that you tell it to include all the data and select each of the related data libraries to include in the template. Tap Forms will reestablish the links to the related libraries (which I call Forms in Tap Forms).

2. Tap Forms has Saved Searches which are essentially the same as Bento’s smart collections. However, they do not translate to Tap Forms during the Bento template import process, so you’ll have to recreate the saved searches in Tap Forms to match what you had going on in Bento.

You will need to upgrade to Mavericks or Yosemite actually. I would recommend upgrading to Yosemite myself. Tap Forms Mac 3.0.x is not compatible with Lion or Mountain Lion.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.