Sum of Table Sum

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

James Anderson
    Participant

Hi guys. Just a quick bit of help. I’ve got a table field that has a column of numbers. I can get a sum of the values inside of the table easily enough. However, I’m having a bit of an issue trying to get a total sum of all records. In other words, I want a total sum of all of the table sums. Is that possible in Tap Forms? If so, how? I can’t find it.

August 30, 2018 at 11:00 AM #30413

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi James,

Yes, this is possible, but you have to “pull” out the total from the Table field by adding a Calculation field to your parent form that totals up your field from the Table field.

So add a Calculation field, then on the left side of the Formula Editor where Tap Forms shows the list of fields, find your Table field and then double-click on the field beneath it that you want to get the sum for. That’ll insert something like TOTAL::Table Field::Amount Field into your formula.

Now on the Calculation field’s properties, set the Calculation Type to Total. Or switch to the multi-column list view and make sure that Calculation field is displayed in the list of fields. Then click on the Sigma (∑) button to display the Calculation Summary Row. Then click the popup button beneath that Calculation field to display the grand total result you’re looking for.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks!

Brendan

August 30, 2018 at 11:16 AM #30416

James Anderson
    Participant

Hi, Brendan. Yes, it makes sense, but I think I didn’t communicate my need correctly. Let me take it to the actual problem. I have a list of students. Each Student has multiple scholarship offers. Thus we have a list of a list. Getting a sum of the list of each student’s offers is easy because the “table” field has a nice summary option built-in. What I need is to get a sum of all the offers for every student. So…

Student A: Scholarship 1 is $5000, Scholarship 2 is $15000, Scholarship 3 is $7000, Total for student is $27000.

Student B: Scholarship 1 is $10000, Scholarship 2 is $15000, Scholarship 3 is $25000, Total for student is $50000.

Student C: Scholarship 1 is $12000, Scholarship 2 is $20000, Total for student is $32000.

Those are the easy parts. What I need is a way to calculate and present the total of all offers, in this case $109000 in offers.

My guess is that I’m going to have a have a Parent Form that pulls data from each of the student record tables. Is that correct?

August 30, 2018 at 11:34 AM #30417

Brendan
    Keymaster

Well when you have a Table field, you do have a parent form already. It’s really just the form the Table field is on.

I did understand your requirement and my explanation is the solution.

So you’re already getting the total offers for each student at the bottom of the Table field.

You just need to add a Calculation field to the Student form along side that Table field (not within the Table field) to sum the offer amounts again. You can call it Total Offers or something like that.

Once you have a Calculation field on the Student form, you can get a grand total of the Total Offers field.

So it is exactly as you’re describing and the solution I presented before.

If you email me your form template to support@tapforms.com I can take a look at what you have now and I can see if my solution is viable.

April 29, 2020 at 11:27 AM #40395

Jim Newberry
    Participant

Brendan: I also had this question, found this thread, and it worked for me, thanks.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.