[Suggestions] List column management and Form rules

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms [Suggestions] List column management and Form rules

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Yann
    Participant

Hello !

First great program you got there. I’ve been using the iPad one for a long time – around the beginning i think – and i’m currently testing the mac version.

There is some suggestions, ideas i’ve got and i would like some feedback !
    For that, i made some pictures. My Tap Form mac app is in french so i tried to add english in the pictures.

1) The possibility to manage the fields shown in the item list.
    List view is like that :
    List View

And one thing i noticed, is that item shown here are picked from the first to an certain amount of field in the order there are in the fields list.

So i will see that more like that :
    Add the possibility to modify the field which are shown in the item list.

You can choose 4 field to be shown. Image type field can only be selected for the first row and chock boxes for the last one. The first picture show the result that can be done.

Things can already be like that but sometimes, you just want specific filed to be shown and not having them at the top of you list.

2) This one might be tough but powerful !
    Adding mac rules type specific for each form.
    Rules view for a form

Each form fields can have rules attached.
    Rules can allow complex (and not complicated) manipulation of data to adapt it to your needs.

If this interest you, i can talk about it much longer !

Yann

May 13, 2014 at 6:58 PM #10129

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Yann,

Thanks for the feature suggestions. They’re very detailed and I really appreciate that.

Adding a more configurable list view is definitely on my to-do list.

Your rules look interesting, but I don’t understand the purpose.

Thanks,

Brendan

May 14, 2014 at 12:08 AM #10136

Yann
    Participant

Thanks Brendan !

I know it can be tough to understand when someone ask for something so i want to be very specific, it will be better for the both of us.

About rules, the purpose is to allow more customization of data manipulation of a filed based on other fields.

I based my rules on the Hazel program for mac.

1) Some notes about the rules interface i made in my last post
    I made some change to it to be more accurate.
    – The little “pause” icon on the date field mean the rules are paused and will not be set automatically. (great for testing)
    – The little eye icon is for “testing” rules in a sandbox area. We can see chat it can do but it actually doesn’t do anything yet. (great with the pause button)
    – The icon at the right is for options. Import, export, ect…
    – The fields list only reflect fields we choose in the fields management for the form.
    – On the right, It lists only the rules of the field we selected.
    – “plus” for adding a rule, “minus” for deleting one, the pen icon to modify a rule.

2) Here an example of how i can be useful and simple to use.

I got in my field list a field named “days waiting” base on the date filed and the applied filed. So i put a rules like that to make thing automatic :

Rules details example

This rule is simple. I think it explained itself.
    Rules are far more convenient and easy to use and yet so powerful !

I gotta go so if you want to have more details or talk, i will answer gladly !

Yann

May 17, 2014 at 12:32 AM #10155

Yann
    Participant

Is this clearer for you Brendan ?

May 17, 2014 at 10:58 AM #10158

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Yann,

Well, it looks rather complicated. So what you’re saying is with a rule, you can set different ways of displaying a value depending on the conditions met. So in the above example, the “Days waiting” field will display its value in red using the specified pattern, but only if the Applied field’s value is checked and the Date field’s value is not in the last 2 weeks.

I can see how some of these type things could be useful, but actually programming it sounds like it will take me a very long time to complete. It’s not something I can throw together in a couple of days I don’t think. More like a month long project. And right now I can’t spare the time to work on something like that. But I do like the idea of being able to give some customizability to fields based on rules.

I have so many other things that I need to get done first though.

Thanks!

Brendan

May 17, 2014 at 12:40 PM #10161

Yann
    Participant

Yes, it can be really useful and attract people who search for more customization in this product. But rules can be long to implement so when you have time, why not !

The most urgent thing i will need is actually the ability to modify the list view item :)

Thanks a lot for your work !!

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.