Suggestions for the next version of Tap Forms

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Suggestions for the next version of Tap Forms

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Victor Warner
    Participant

I would like to make some suggestions for the next version of Tap Forms (and hopefully hear other users’ suggestions too):

1. Layouts (so that it works in a similar way to Forms), with a vertical listing. Including being able to re-order them and group them (in a similar way that FileMaker permits). So
    2. Export of reports in addition to printing to PDF, and export records to xlsx or csv, but also an option to export/print reports (mail merged) to rtf, .docx or multimarkdown
    3. Being able to tab through all the fields (so that it does not skip over picklists or picklist not being reachable when tabbing through fields).
    4. Section heads:
      1. being able to collapse them all by a menu item or shortcut key
      2. being able to reach a section heading through a menu item or shortcut key
    5. Being able to re-order the tab order of fields
    November 4, 2019 at 8:06 AM #37745

john cesta
    Participant

OK, I’ll play…

On the iPados,

1. Set default on individual settings to export field to NO
    2. Create a function similar to the Copy record link to Copy field values to clipboard. Field and line feed
    3. In the Show sections feature show them collapsed by default have a button to expand or collapse all or one.
    4. In the multi column settings set as none by default. Allow to select all or individually.
    5. Give a print option for a select group of records and allow printing for a simple one line per record.

Just some ideas.

November 4, 2019 at 8:38 PM #37770

Brendan
    Keymaster

And all this is for the next update? :P

Who’s gonna help me out here to code all that? :)

My smart ass comments aside, I do appreciate all the feature requests. It’s what drives Tap Forms development.

Victor:

1. That’s a good idea. But it would definitely take away some horizontal space from the layout itself.

2. You can already export records to XLSX and CSV. Not so sure about exporting to .docx, .rtf, and markdown.

3. On the Default Layout the popup buttons allow you to tab to them and then select a value from them. It should also work on custom layouts, but it seems like it’s not working right now. I’ll look into that.

4. a) You can hide section headings on the records list view. Or do you mean on the Default Layout?
    b) You can select a section heading and Tap Forms will jump to it on the records list view.

5. Click the -->| button on the layout editor screen (when in layout edit mode) to let you change the tab order of the fields.

John:

1. Not quite sure what you mean? So that you don’t have to specify each field to hide or show?

2. If you long-press on a field on the record details screen, Tap Forms will display a copy option to let you copy the value.

3. On the record details screen? Or the records list screen?

4. None would technically be the same as all since I need to display something if someone hasn’t even visited the View Settings screen.

5. The more advanced printing functions are on the Mac version. You can use the Print table of records function on Mac. Sorry, I don’t have the table printing option on iOS.

November 5, 2019 at 6:39 AM #37794

Victor Warner
    Participant

Brendan,

Thank you for your response. A few comments on your comments:

1. That’s a good idea. But it would definitely take away some horizontal space from the layout itself

Some apps have the option of selecting which set of information you wish to include in a left-hand column/sidebar. For example, PDF Pen Pro you can choose (in the alternative) annotations, table of contents, thumbnails.

With that idea: the user could display in the sidebar, records, layouts, databases for Tap Forms.

2. You can already export records to XLSX and CSV. Not so sure about exporting to .docx, .rtf, and markdown.

FileMaker only offers exports to PDF and XLSX, CSV and some database formats. But there are third party plugins in to export to word processing formats. As I mentioned in my original post, sometimes I need to edit the content of a report/layout. At present I print to PDF and then either convert the PDF to a word-processing format or copy the text if I do not wish to retain the formatting.

4. a) You can hide section headings on the records list view. Or do you mean on the Default Layout?

I mean the Default Layout. You can see from the attached PDF the issue. The main contact database has to capture a lot of information, so that when all are expanded there is a lot of scrolling up and down (that is pages 1 to 5 of the attached PDF). But it would be much easier if I could just collapse all of the sections with a shortcut (rather than doing each one by one). Or being able to select just the one that I wished to expand.

I assume that this is not possible currently?

November 5, 2019 at 7:32 AM #37797

Victor Warner
    Participant

Brendan,

Thank you for your response. A few comments on your comments

1. That’s a good idea. But it would definitely take away some horizontal space from the layout itself

Some apps have the option of selecting which set of information you wish to include in a left-hand column/sidebar. For example, PDF Pen Pro you can choose (in the alternative) annotations, table of contents, thumbnails.

With the idea: the user could display in the sidebar, records, layouts, databases.

FileMaker only offers exports to PDF and XLSX, CSV and some database formats. But there are third party plugins in to export to word processing formats. As I mentioned in my original post, this enable editing of the content of a report/layout. At present I print to PDF and then either convert the PDF to a word-processing format or copy the text if I do not wish to retain the formatting.

I mean the Default Layout. You can see from the attached PDF the issue. The main contact database has to capture a lot of information, so that when all are expanded there is a lot of scrolling up and down (that is pages 1 to 5 ) of the attached PDF. But it would be much easier if I could just collapse all of the sections with a shortcut (rather than doing each one by one). Or being able to select just the one that I wished to expand.

I assume that this is not possible currently?

November 5, 2019 at 11:52 AM #37822

Victor Warner
    Participant

I can see that the attachment because of size. Now attached under the 4mbyte limit.

Brendan,

Regarding:

5. Click the –>| button on the layout editor screen (when in layout edit mode) to let you change the tab order of the fields.

I can see this and click on the button highlights it but there is nothing on the screen what to do next. There is a tooltip (“show or hide the field tab orders”), but nothing appears in the layout. Am I missing something?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    November 7, 2019 at 1:06 PM #37907

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Victor,

The tab order feature is just for custom layouts.

Ok, thanks for the clarification on collapsing headers on the Default Layout.

November 8, 2019 at 12:16 PM #37921

Victor Warner
    Participant

Brendan,

Thank you for the information about when the tab order feature is available. Although even in a custom layout, a field set to a picklist is still not available or reachable by pressing the tab key.

Victor

November 8, 2019 at 5:05 PM #37930

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Victor,

It depends on what kind of Display you have set for the Pick List.

Is it a Single Select Pick List? If so, then it should work like any other field. Tabbing into the field should follow the order specified.

But if you have it set as a Popup button, then you’re right, that doesn’t work. But I’ve just fixed that for the next update.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.