Suggestion or Misunderstanding

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Mike Guilbault
    Participant

Not sure if I’m missing something, but when we’re in a custom layout, to move from field to field, hitting <ENTER> seems intuitive (as opposed to TAB). It would be great if using TAB could move you from section to section rather than field to field.

For example, when entering data, there’s a sequence of fields to fill. When revising data, or completing the record, tab-stops taking you to different sections such as a “Date Completed” field would save a lot of keystrokes to get there.

Is this possible with the current configuration? I used to be able to do this with FilePro. Enter would take you from field to field where Tabs would take from section to section of the record.

September 26, 2022 at 11:42 PM #48018

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Mike,

I’ve never seen this behaviour you describe before. If you think about even something like a web page with a form on it, when you press the tab key, you are taken from field to field. That’s the normal, expected behaviour. Even for native Mac apps. I’ve never used FilePro, so I’m not sure the behaviour of that. Did you mean FileMaker Pro?

September 27, 2022 at 5:04 AM #48022

Mike Guilbault
    Participant

Hey Brendan… Not FM, FilePro 16 was long before FileMaker Pro… DOS based. lol probably before your time. ;)

Yah… most web pages do use tabs. Never really paid that much attention. I know I can grab the mouse to move to a different field, but I find keeping my hands on the keyboard is faster for data input. Could there be something like an <OPTION><TAB> to move to a different section? Kinda like an anchor point. Just a thought.

September 27, 2022 at 12:03 PM #48026

Brendan
    Keymaster

Option-tab when inside a field will actually insert a tab character into the field. That’s the standard Mac behaviour.

I’ve used DOS before. Many moon phases ago :)

Can you post a screenshot of your layout so I can see better how you’ve laid your form out?

September 27, 2022 at 1:22 PM #48029

Mike Guilbault
    Participant

Here’s the form. The boxed sections are areas I would like to ‘jump’ to with a keyboard stroke. I have other forms I’d like the same functionality… some with more fields than this.

I’m sure I’d get used to using the mouse to click from one to the other, but I just prefer keeping my hands on the keyboard if possible.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    September 27, 2022 at 1:37 PM #48031

Brendan
    Keymaster

Well, you can change the tab order using the tab order button. That will let you set whichever order you like for your fields.

September 27, 2022 at 1:38 PM #48032

Mike Guilbault
    Participant

Understood. Thanks!

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.