Suggestion: Encrypt Attachments.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Peredo Door
    Participant

One of my forms has many pictures. I was surprised when my pictures showed up in my other Mac (via iCloud sync) and they were not encrypted (they showed up in the “All Files” section of my Mac).

There is a library that can be used to use asymmetric encryption called RNCryptor, and it can encrypt any NSData thrown into it, while abstracting many details like key derivation and so on. I really want my attachments to be encrypted, so I’m throwing the suggestion of RNCryptor (I am not affiliated) because I have used it and it’s really easy to use.

September 14, 2015 at 9:32 PM #14627

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Peredo,

Well, I’m currently migrating Tap Forms to use Couchbase. One of the features of Couchbase is the ability to encrypt attachments. I’ll actually be testing that out this week to see how it works since the Couchbase development team has just enable the ability to encrypt, decrypt, and change the key of an already encrypted database. My only concern is that some customers may not want the attachments encrypted along with the database. So I may have to store them separately from the database as I do now.

Thanks,

Brendan

September 15, 2015 at 9:14 PM #14631

Peredo Door
    Participant

Would you mind telling me what database system you’re currently using with TapForms? Just curious.

I personally don’t mind if my attachments are stored in the database or separately, as long as they are both encrypted.

September 15, 2015 at 9:17 PM #14632

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Peredo,

I’m currently using SQLite with FMDB as the database access layer. Couchbase still stores the attachments as separate files in the file system within an attachments folder along side the database though. It’s just in one situation you can view their contents in the Finder and the other you can’t. They would just be unreadable from outside Tap Forms.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.