Stumped on how to import date records from excel file

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Stumped on how to import date records from excel file

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Peter Laundy
    Participant

All other field types I’ve tried work like a charm: text, location, email, checkbox.

However, I can’t get the following to import: a date formatted identically in an excel file and in Tap Forms 5.3.4 (both mm/dd/yyyy), the field set to “Date” in the import dialog box, the column header in the Date column exactly matching the name of the field. Can’t find anything in the documentation to inform how to get this to work.

Note that “file encoding” is greyed out and set to “no value”. Column heads in Excel and TF are identical. Also, as I don’t own Excel I’ve been exporting to it from Numbers and Google Sheets.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    December 1, 2018 at 12:53 AM #32288

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Peter,

On the Date Format popup there’s a specific Excel date format.

Try that and see if it works for you.

File Encoding is irrelevant for Excel files.

The date format you see in Excel is not the date format that’s actually embedded within the XLSX file. It’s just these big number values that represent the dates using a bizarre Microsoft date format. The Tap Forms Excel Date Format setting should handle them.

December 1, 2018 at 12:54 AM #32290

Brendan
    Keymaster

Alternatively you could export from Excel as a CSV file instead of an XLSX file and then import it using the appropriate date format that is displayed in the preview panel at the bottom of the Import Records window.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.