Students –Courses

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Brecht DHeere
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I want to keep track off my students who follow courses. I have 3 forms (Students-<Students_assigned>-Courses) because one student can follow more than one course. See here for a sample file.

I have a few questions:

1. Is this the right approach?

2. I can choose the students course on the form of the students but can I also see on the form of the students which students have already been assigned to a specific course? For now, I have to go look on the form of the courses (where I also can add students of course). In my school system there cannot be more than four students for one class so if I assign them through the students form I need to see how much I already assigned to that specific course.

3. Can I have a global view (table?) of which students that are assigned to the different courses?

Thanks for the comments,
    Brecht

October 26, 2020 at 10:49 PM #42426

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

1. If you’re mapping multiple records together it’s the approach I recommend. You might end up wanting a fourth one to map courses to instances of the course that a student is enrolled in (sessions/semesters/offerings/something) but that might be going a bit too far.

2. You could put a script field inside your link form that joins all of the students into the link form or the course form. If you did an enrolments script field on the course that joined the students enrolled in it and set it as one of the list fields then it’ll show up when you’re selecting courses.

3. If you’re after a table of course to student list then the above script field should help there as well.

October 27, 2020 at 9:22 AM #42432

Brecht DHeere
    Participant

OK, number 2 seems a good solution but I can’t write such scripts :(
    You don’t have a sample script that I can change for my form?

October 27, 2020 at 6:57 PM #42436

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

Implementing that one is relatively straight forward, the child records loop does most of the heavy lifting for you. I need to go and time code the video but the intro to scripting video covers this (though perhaps I need to go take “simple” out of the title).

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.