Stuck on sync sending

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

tonyt
    Participant

Hi Brendan
    I am using latest versions of TF on mac mojave and ios latest. When i make an entry on the ipad recently and then look under my tools I see a messge saying ‘sync sending’ but nothing happens, or seems to! If i close TF and reload it the sync USUALY goes ahead. Any ideas?

February 4, 2019 at 2:59 PM #33653

Brendan
    Keymaster

Not sure. It may be caused by delays communicating with Apple’s servers. Or you have a particularly large attachment being synced.

February 8, 2019 at 10:54 AM #33700

tonyt
    Participant

Hi Brendan
    Still happening with great long delays from iPad to Mac, makes it unusable at times. If I close TF and reopen it seems to sync. Would a reset of sync help?
    UPDATE-
    I have just looked at my Mac sync settings and they are on Nearby – which I have NEVER used!! The iPad is on iCloud. Sync still takes place as described. Is this an expected behaviour?
    Please could you tell me what to do to put things straight – detailed instructions appreciated as I live in fear of upsetting sync or deleting data from iCloud, etc! For instance I have found this thread that gives info but says disable sync on bothe machines, but what about keeping data in iCloud, or should I delete this too and rely on the upto date info on the Mac?
    Hope you can help
    Cheers….

February 8, 2019 at 11:01 AM #33701

tonyt
    Participant

I should add the sync settings window on the Mac looks as a little odd as iCloud is highlighted to the left, but on the right it says Nearby?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    February 8, 2019 at 2:34 PM #33704

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ah I see. I did make a little change to the Sync Settings screen because for people that were using Nearby, when you closed and re-opened the Sync Settings screen, it would show that iCloud was selected even if they were using Nearby. So what Tap Forms does now is it checks to see if you have any devices configured in Nearby and then it selects the Nearby option. Since you at one time configured Nearby sync by adding your iPad to it, that’s why Tap Forms is selecting Nearby Sync. You should remove the iPad from the list of devices. Especially since that could cause a conflicting sync to occur. Once you remove the iPad from the list, the Sync Settings screen will behave as normal.

March 5, 2019 at 12:29 PM #33919

tonyt
    Participant

I am now on iCloud sync but missed the chance to delete the ipad from the list of devices. The problem is still happening! Help if possible appreciated.
    Thanks…

March 5, 2019 at 1:18 PM #33920

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Tony,

Just disable iCloud sync, then tap on the Nearby sync screen, then delete the devices if you’re no longer using Nearby.

Then re-enable iCloud sync.

March 7, 2019 at 12:09 AM #33930

tonyt
    Participant

Hi Brendan
    Still getting the same problem. If I leave TF in memory on the ipad and then sleep the ipad overnight, when I use TF in the morning it often has a sync sending message with no sync taking place. I have to dismiss TF, reload it and press the sync button, and 9 times out of 10 it syncs!
    Any ideas as I can’t seem to rely on the sync at present.
    Also, with sync working, what is a reasonable time for a change on the ipad to register on the Mac, and vice versa?
    Cheers…..

March 7, 2019 at 7:22 AM #33932

Irv Snyder
    Participant

I am having the same problem with iCloud Sync. I am on a Mac with High Sierra (10.13.6) and TF Version 5.3.5 (Build 1814). I disabled iCloud and switched to Nearby Sync. I recently added two new records to my Mac. TF went through the motions of syncing but did NOT update the files on my iPhone. I went back to iCloud sync but, again, no update. Other than updating my macOS a few months ago, I have made no significant changes to my operating systems on either device.

March 8, 2019 at 5:10 AM #33944

tonyt
    Participant

Any thoughts? Would an uninstall on the ipad help? It is making life a bit problematic.

March 8, 2019 at 11:28 AM #33947

Brendan
    Keymaster

Irv, on the Nearby sync screen did you setup[ your devices in both directions? That is, did you add the iPhone to the Mac and the Mac to the iPhone’s Nearby Sync screen? If you didn’t add the Mac to your iPhone, then any changes you make on the Mac won’t show up on the iPhone.

Tony, here’s a procedure you can try:

1. Disable iCloud sync on each device.
    2. Close the document on all but one device. Preferably keep the Mac version open.
    3. Click the Delete from iCloud button on one device.
    4. Re-enable iCloud Sync on the Mac.
    5. Let it finish syncing.
    6. Close and re-open the document.
    7. Wait for the 2nd sync cycle to complete.
    8. Close the document on the Mac again.
    9. Delete the document from the other devices (they should have been closed already).
    10. Use the Send Document function to send a copy of the document from your Mac.
    11. Open the document on your other devices.
    12. Re-enable iCloud sync, one device at a time. Let the sync cycle finish before moving on to the next device.

March 9, 2019 at 3:05 AM #33955

tonyt
    Participant

Thanks Brendan, that SEEMS to have worked. I ddi the reset sync thing the other day but missed out the delete from ipad bit, maybe why it didn’t work! What does this process do that fixes sync problem?s – in a nutshell is fine! Is it just resetting links that could have got muddled up?
    Cheers
    Tony

March 9, 2019 at 12:56 PM #33959

Brendan
    Keymaster

It’s hard to say, but it just allows you to start completely from scratch, clearing out the data in iCloud and starting with one “source of truth”.

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.