Sorting with Linked Forms

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Mark Burgess
    Participant

I have a Client form (the included one) and a Project form. In the Project form I link to the Client form.

My project form then has “Client” and also “Project Name”

I would like to sort by Client “Company” then “Project Name”. But the view always sorts on the “Project Name” even though I have “Client” as the first sort field and “Project Name” as the second sort field.

January 17, 2015 at 6:45 PM #12718

Brendan
    Keymaster

You can’t sort on a Link From Form field. I’m thinking that I forgot to remove that field type option from the list of sort fields. Sorry for the confusion.

February 2, 2015 at 2:22 AM #12864

Grey Drane
    Participant

Is this something that could be implemented in the future?

I ask because I see that it’s also not possible to search on the “Link from Form” field, but this would be very helpful when exporting data from a search.

I have a situation similar to Mark’s, but with the addition of a Tasks form linked to the Projects form. I was thinking that the easiest way to invoice my clients would be to export their project/task data into Excel, but I can’t see any way to select the projects and tasks for just one client for exporting.

Am I missing something? Is there a workaround?

On a related note, I can’t seem to export the “Link from Form” column either. I get some sort of file corrupt error, and Excel “recovers” the file with the linked column empty. If I don’t export the linked column, I don’t get this error.

Cheers,
    Grey

February 3, 2015 at 10:43 PM #12875

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Grey,

It’s certainly something that may come in a future update, but I’m not making any promises right now.

I am working on the issue with the Link from Form field not exporting properly. Currently when exporting the CSV file with a Link from Form, the header is written, but no data for that column and that’s causing the header row to be shifted. I suspect it’s also affecting the XLSX export too. So I’m looking into that too.

Thanks,

Brendan

February 4, 2015 at 2:06 PM #12878

Bas van der Horst
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

First of all: I’m happy with tapforms. Being able to have plenty of flexibility working out my administration on my ipad really saves me a lot of time. Also thanks in advance for working on the export issue with the linked from form field.

Something I ran into when exporting my database to excel, and maybe relating to this issue, is a shift in column headers, and for some records a double shift.

I would really like to hear from you when you resolved this issue.

Best,
    Bas

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    February 4, 2015 at 9:00 PM #12884

Brendan
    Keymaster

I fixed the Link From Form field export issue just last night. For now, you’ll need to disable export on any Link From Field before you export your records. In the next update, the value of the Link From Form field (as long as it’s a to-one relationship and not a many-to-many) will be exported with each field value on its own line.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.