Sorting Out The Options for Version 5

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

OkieG8r
    Participant

Hello.
    I’ve had iOS Apps (4.0.7) on my 5S and iPad mini and version 3.5.18 on my MBP. Recently, dropped my 5S -> bought an SE and discovered it would not sync. Started looking into V5. Looks like I will need to upgrade to this to keep using TapForms, but am a bit confused about my options.

1) I think I understand I can download the OS trial from your website and it will give me an option for purchasing the OS version at a discount. Is that correct? If so, what is the discounted price?

2) I take it I then perform a migration and can begin using the OS version of 5, correct?

3) I take it I then need to purchase the new iOS version, correct? Will I need to purchase one for each device or just one iOS version? Is there a discounted upgrade price?

4) IF I perform the migration on my MBP, can I simply set the sync up (I prefer the nearby option if I understand it (I take it is just being on the same WiFi network?) to populate the iOS version with my records?

Looking forward to figuring out the options and getting the sync process up and going again.

Thanks!

September 18, 2016 at 6:54 PM #19619

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Okie,

1. To get the upgrade price, you’ll need to download the version from my website. That will detect the version you have from the Mac App Store. It will give you a license for version 3.5 for free. You will need to register that and then launch it at least once. THEN you download the Mac version 5 trial and when you launch it, it will detect that you have version 3.5 of the direct download version installed. Then you’ll be offered the 50% discount ($24.99 USD).

2. Yes. Migrate your data using the Mac version. Then transfer the already migrated document to Tap Forms 5 running on your iOS devices.

3. You just need to purchase the upgrade once for iOS and use it on all your own iOS devices. There’s an upgrade bundle you can use the “Complete My Bundle” function with to get a discount for the iOS version:

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app-bundle/tap-forms-5-upgrade-bundle/id1140801867?mt=8

4. Watch this video to find out how to sync between Mac and iOS:

Thanks!

Brendan

September 21, 2016 at 7:21 PM #19733

OkieG8r
    Participant

Thanks, Brendan.

I think I’ve gotten things set up on the Mac, but…how do I sync it to the iPhone using the Nearby option (I believe the promo said this was possible with or without a Cloud?)? Thanks.

September 21, 2016 at 10:07 PM #19736

Brendan
    Keymaster

Yes you can do that.

Please see this chapter in the manual:

https://www.tapforms.com/help-mac/5/en/topic/nearby-sync

Pay close attention to the box in blue.

And here’s a video that shows how to set it up too:

Now that video shows from Mac to Mac, but it’s the same for Mac to iOS.

October 8, 2016 at 8:01 AM #19998

OkieG8r
    Participant

Thanks, Brendan.

(I originally resounded 10/6, but that reply did not post.)

I was able to get the DB on the iPhone and have had some success syncing, it is just not consistent. Here is the routine I follow:
    1) Open the MBP version of TFs and select the database document (which is approximately 1GB if that matters). It usually opens to a particular form.
    2) Open the iOS version to that same form.
    3) On the MBP select Preferences -> Sync -> Select iPhone from list of Nearby Devices (dot turns or is already green) -> Done.
    4) On the iOS Tools-> Phone exchange icon (upper left corner)

Occasionally, I’ll see a sync circle in the lower right corner of the MBP TFs window. Most times, not. On the iPhone I see the screenshot I am attaching that says “waiting for connection…”

Regarding this screenshot:
    I have searched for ‘Beam Form’ and have not been able to locate it in the applications or the manual. How does one access that option?

Thanks again!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    October 8, 2016 at 11:00 AM #20003

Brendan
    Keymaster

Beaming is different than syncing. You don’t need to do anything for syncing to work other than add both devices to each other’s list of Nearby devices.

The screen you posted is for beaming a form or a record from one device to another. When you beam a form, it only beams the form template, not the data.

The Beam Form function is on the Edit Form screen. The Beam Record function is on the record details view.

Tap on all the action menu buttons you see in Tap Forms. Those are the square boxes with the arrow pointing up out of it. A lot of the functionality of Tap Forms is in those menus that appear when you tap those buttons. You’ll see the Beam function there when viewing the record details for any record.

October 13, 2016 at 12:36 PM #20039

OkieG8r
    Participant

Thanks, Brendan.

(Apologize for the delay in responding, I’ve had trouble logging back into the forum.)
    Indeed, though my phone was active on the MBP, the iPhone no longer had the MBP recognized as a device. Added it to the iPhone and – works like a charm.

Thanks for your patience and the program.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.