Sluggish behaviour on iOS

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Chris Ridd
    Participant

Hello,

I’m seeing a few areas in the current iOS app [5.3.1 (884)] that feel rather sluggish and wondered if they were expected.

1. Importing a CSV file is really slow. It correctly counts the 16200 lines in the file (24 fields per line, most text is in German with non-ASCII chars), and then takes about 90s to import these on an iPhone 7 without giving any feedback apart from a dialog that has a complete progress bar and the text “16” :-)
    2. Searching is slow. Typing the search text blocks very frequently.
    3. Viewing a record, making no changes and then hitting back gives me an indeterminate spinner for 2-3 seconds.

I’ve previously used the same size dataset on a simple sqlite3 database on the same phone, and searching it felt much Snappierâ„¢. Certainly there was no lag while typing interactive search text, but perhaps TF is doing more behind the scenes.

October 1, 2018 at 12:08 PM #30842

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Chris,

Could you please try tapping the Compact Database function on the Database Maintenance screen on the Tools tab? That may help to improve the performance. It will perform some optimizations on the SQLite database. There also probably is more happening in Tap Forms than the other tool you were using. The data is stored as JSON documents within the SQLite database rather than just in a plain table with columns, so it has to load the JSON and then interpret that for everything you do.

Thanks!

Brendan

October 1, 2018 at 12:32 PM #30844

Chris Ridd
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

Compacting the database doesn’t seem to help much – the resulting database is ~ 177MB. My other tool was doing simple tables with columns and not JSON, so that may indeed explain away some of the lagginess.

I can’t reproduce the search/typing issues any more, but the delay going back to the main list is pretty consistent. Is it likely to be proportional to the number of records? I’m expecting my dataset to add a lot more records, but maybe I need to split it up into multiple tables (forms?) somehow to get more speed.

October 2, 2018 at 12:41 AM #30846

Brendan
    Keymaster

When you go back to the records list, it’s reloading the 16,200 records in your form, so that’s why you get the spinner for a couple of seconds. Yes, it is proportional to the number of records. The more records, the longer it will take to load them. You could also create Saved Searches to filter them into smaller chunks.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.