Sluggish after 5.3 update

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Philip Tate
    Participant

Since updating to 5.3 (Build 1794) the UI is sluggish. It takes 2-3 seconds to change from one block in the table to another, and scrolling through the table is slow and erratic. Compacting the database did nothing for the speed.
    The single-column view is fine, but the multi-column, split view is slow.
    320 records, 16 fields.
    Mac Mini, 16GB RAM, Mac OS 10.13.6
    Thanks for any ideas to fix this.

September 22, 2018 at 5:51 PM #30718

Brendan
    Keymaster

Do you have any Photo fields on any custom layouts visible? If so, I would suggest looking into your Photo fields and maybe changing the Photo Size from Original to one of the explicit sizes. Then click the Resize All Photos button. Then go compact the database.

Does that solve the problem?

September 22, 2018 at 5:59 PM #30720

Philip Tate
    Participant

Solved! Thanks a lot. About 1/2 second to switch from one record to another now. Also dropped 20% or so of the database size.

September 22, 2018 at 6:10 PM #30723

Brendan
    Keymaster

Excellent. I’m glad that solved the problem. It has to do with having very large photos on a custom layout. They get read and resized by the OS to fit in the box in real time, so the larger the photo is, the longer it takes to do that. I should really cache smaller versions of them like I do on the Default Layout.

September 26, 2018 at 1:31 PM #30778

Kimberley Hoffman
    Participant

I have a similar problem with a form that has two places to drop photos and lines of calcualtions into Euros. I followed the solution here, but still find that the update has made TapForms sluggish, particularly in the calcualtions. These are simple ones, i.e. calculating the cost of portraits: 1 * 10 or 3 * 10. The result shows in Euros, but it hangs a while during the calculation. (the apple beach ball of death whirls around during this time)

I don’t use split view and am working directly on my iMac, Sierra 10.12.6 with plenty of RAM. I thought I’d let you know.

September 26, 2018 at 1:59 PM #30781

Brendan
    Keymaster

Kimberly, I believe this may have been due to a different problem. Are you editing on the Default Layout or on a custom layout?

I’m preparing an update that I’ll publish later today that should fix this problem.

If you’d like to try the beta version with the fix, email me (support@tapforms.com) and let me know.

Thanks,

Brendan

September 28, 2018 at 12:34 PM #30803

Kimberley Hoffman
    Participant

Hi Brendan,
    The update 5.3.2. helped a lot. There has been no more lagging of the program (just lagging of my own concentration).

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
    Kimberley

September 28, 2018 at 5:45 PM #30806

Anonymous
    Inactive

Excellent! I’m glad that solved the problem.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.