Size Limits?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Mike Guilbault
    Participant

I’m just starting to learn about Tap Forms and about to bite the bullet to purchase. I have a couple of questions…

Are there any size limits to TapForms, ie # of records?

Is the data stored on my Mac, or in iCloud. Trying to wrap my 65 year old head around possible storage issues.

Is there an advantage/disadvantage to purchasing on the App Store vs direct?

TIA

Mike

August 31, 2022 at 2:17 PM #47875

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Mike,

There’s no size limits. You can have forms with even a hundred fields if you like and tens of thousands of records. But the more records and fields you have, it will take Tap Forms longer to fetch and display them all.

The data is stored on your device. iCloud is only used for syncing the differences between documents on your devices.

You can purchase wherever you like. The advantage to buying direct is that I earn a little bit more. The advantage of purchasing from the Mac App Store is you can rate Tap Forms and write a review if you like. Either is good with me. It’s your choice.

Thanks!

Brendan

February 7, 2024 at 1:07 AM #50465

Jack Hide
    Participant

Hi,

I’m not a db-programmer and have no idea about limits of different databases. I set up TapForms for my wife’s shop including multiple photos for each entry in two different forms. I experience data loss between different iPads using iCloud syncing. I made a backup and an export file which are about 6GB with about 1700 entries in 4 forms. Each entry has ca.3photos.

First of all, a complete sync is very slow. Then the number of entries differ and the content of some entries (photos) are missing. Is there a size limit for iCloud syncing? Is there a better/safer way to sync? Especially in the future with different apple IDs on different iPads? Or do you know of an easy to use db which caters for larger photo based entries?

best regards,

Jack

February 8, 2024 at 9:55 PM #50468

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Jac,

I would recommend using either the CouchDB sync or the Nearby Sync to sync such a large database. It will be far faster for you than iCloud sync.

I am working on multi-user sync for a new version of Tap Forms I’m working on.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.