size limitations?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

robw
    Participant

I just downloaded this app (thanks Brendan for producing the lite version; the ability to test drive was the primary reason I went this your app instead of HandDbase or Bento etc) and unfortunately I think I’m hitting a limit.

I have a few text files (the simplest of simple databases, just two-column csv files) that I want to import.

The sticking point appears to be a matter of size. The largest datafile I have is also the first one I’ve chosen to import. (since I know it’s gonna take awhile, I want to let it go overnight…)

The file is 3.5 MB, consisting of 94,141 rows

When I tap files –> filename –> Import button –> Import button…

the import starts, I see the count get up to 98/94141, and then the app crashes and I’m back at the home screen.

Am I hitting a known limit in terms of filesize?

AtDhVaAnNkCsE !

December 1, 2009 at 6:14 AM #3846

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Robw,

Well, it’s probably crashing due to an incompatibility with the file encoding. Make sure the encoding of your file is the same as the encoding set on the Import & Exports settings screen. I recommend UTF-8.

However, 94,141 rows is a heck of a lot of rows for a phone to handle. Although you may be able to import the rows, bringing up the list of rows will take a considerable amount of time because Tap Forms will load in all the primary keys for your entire form into memory and then display the first 10 or so rows. As you swipe your finger through the list, it will fetch the rows as they come into view. The slow part will be that initial fetch of the primary keys. It might take quite a few seconds.

You might want to try breaking up the file a bit.

Thanks,

Brendan

December 1, 2009 at 6:29 AM #3847

robw
    Participant

Hmmm, not sure how to control the encoding… these files were last edited via bbedit, and I don’t see a setting to control how BBEdit encodes.

But after that failure, I now find that even the smallest of files (e.g., 21 rows) are also immediately failing in the same way.

I can tell you that there’s nothing in the way of exotic characters involved in these files, if that helps rule out the encoding question…

December 1, 2009 at 6:34 AM #3848

Brendan
    Keymaster

Can you send me one of your small files to test?

BBEdit can control the encoding when you save the file. When you select “Save as…” it will let you choose the encoding.

Thanks,

Brendan

December 1, 2009 at 6:35 AM #3849

Brendan
    Keymaster
    December 1, 2009 at 6:43 AM #3850

robw
    Participant

correction: I figured out how to force UTF-8 when saving in BBEdit. But unfortunately that hasn’t helped, I’m still unable to import files of even a modest size.

December 1, 2009 at 6:44 AM #3851

Brendan
    Keymaster

Did you make sure the import encoding was also set to UTF-8 in Tap Forms?

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.