Show values in joined table from many-to-many linked form

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Show values in joined table from many-to-many linked form

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Fern
    Participant

I’m building a CRM with these forms:
    – Day
    – People
    – Communication
    – Events

Day is joined to Communication and to Events.
    If People is linked to Communication via one-to-many, then the person will show up in the joined table under Day.
    If People is linked to Communication via many-to-many, then the People field is empty in the Communication table under Day.

I want to go into Day and easily see everyone I interacted with. Any hacks or ideas for how I can set this up to be able to have multiple People linked to a Communication AND still have them listed in the Communication table under Day?

April 18, 2021 at 10:12 PM #44205

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

If People is linked to Communication via one-to-many, then the person will show up in the joined table under Day.

One to Many fields on the child side of the relationship can only have a single parent so it’s able to show that single person.

If People is linked to Communication via many-to-many, then the People field is empty in the Communication table under Day.

In this situation there are many possible links, so it’s not possible to show a singular field value. You can use a script field to join the records together from the linked field so that it can be displayed.

I want to go into Day and easily see everyone I interacted with. Any hacks or ideas for how I can set this up to be able to have multiple People linked to a Communication AND still have them listed in the Communication table under Day?

You can use a script field to merge the linked People fields in the Communication record and that will then show up in the Day record with the linked communication.

I have an example of joining child records using a space and Daniel has some examples of joining child records as a comma separated string. It’s a little bit of scripting to basically grab the name field from your person record and then put a comma in. Daniel’s got a couple of examples with some great comments to help you out.

April 20, 2021 at 2:13 PM #44221

Fern
    Participant

This is my first time using scripts in TapForms and I figured out how to adapt Daniel’s version to my forms and where to put it! (Funnily enough I figured out the former first…) This is run-of-the-mill for people like you and Daniel, but it’s a total achievement for me. Thank you so much for your help!

April 20, 2021 at 2:53 PM #44224

Daniel Leu
    Participant

Happy to hear that you were successful!

April 20, 2021 at 5:41 PM #44226

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

Indeed! Good news you got it sorted and you’ve begun your Tap Forms scripting journey!

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.