Shortcuts integration

Tagged: ,

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

My4Paws
    Participant

Hi
    I see the latest update mentions apples shortcuts app. How far does this integration go please? Is it possible to create,edit records? Or retrieve information from your records for further processing in shortcuts.
    If not directly can this be achieved with your api? Are there any examples of the api being used in this way?

Thank you

October 5, 2018 at 11:12 AM #30909

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi,

The Shortcuts support is specifically designed right now for using Siri to execute a Form script that you create in JavaScript.

For example, if you had an expenses form with a Saved Search that lists the expenses this month, you could ask Siri “This month’s expenses” which would execute a form script that returns those results to you within Siri.

You could certainly have Tap Forms create and edit records within a script, but Siri shortcuts executed like this can’t accept parameters. But if you needed to insert or update the same data for every execution of the script, then that would work. For example, if you go to Starbucks and you buy the same priced coffee every day, you could write a script to add an expense record for this and record a Siri command such as “Coffee Time” and have it execute a script called “Add Coffee to Expense” or something like that. Or even call the script “Coffee Time”.

You can have a script return any data you like. But I haven’t specifically tested it when using the Shortcuts app. It’s just calling a script via Siri at the moment.

If you go through the on boarding process again by tapping the bookmark icon on the Documents screen in Tap Forms for iOS and choose the Todo and Expenses forms, they will include a couple of form scripts you can try out.

Thanks!

Brendan

October 5, 2018 at 11:13 AM #30910

Brendan
    Keymaster

Here’s an example video showing using Siri to execute a form script:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dldur76m8nvcb2x/Siri-ShortCuts-Demo.MP4?dl=0

October 5, 2018 at 11:42 AM #30911

My4Paws
    Participant

Hi Brendon
    Thank you so much for your detailed reply and use examples & demo video. I can see how useful this could be in its current form.
    I’ve used the original “workflow” app ( now shortcuts “ for a long time now to run almost every aspect of my business, so am always on the look out for new and wonderful integrations that can fine tune my setup.
    I don’t know if you have any plans to extend the integration with shortcuts, but I do think if you were to do so it could attract an awful lot of new custom to TapForms. As probably the greatest limitation of shortcuts is that it does not, and can not store persistent information for future retrieval. That would be a game changer for myself and the many thousands of new converts to shortcuts since it was rebranded in iOS 12. Something for you to consider possibly :)

Again many thanks from a new fan!

Vikki xx

October 5, 2018 at 12:05 PM #30912

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Vikki,

Ya, I need to support all the x-callback-url stuff to do it right. It’s tricky when there’s multiple document support in Tap Forms. Although right now if you add a reminder or add to your calendar from a Date & Time field, Tap Forms generates a URL that will take you back to that record. But it’s a big long ugly URL because it contains all the internal IDs for the things it needs to take you back to the right place, such as the Document ID, Form ID, and Record ID. They’re all big long ugly strings.

But it’s definitely an area I need to work on.

Thanks!

Brendan

October 6, 2018 at 12:13 AM #30922

My4Paws
    Participant

? Oooo… that’s interesting Brendon, thanks for the pointer. TBH Even just being able to open a specific record via the url scheme is terrific news.
    Personally I think the long (ok possibly a little ugly) ID guids are fine for you to use, and do make perfect sense as long as you can find out what they are before creating your shortcut. Is there another way to see them listed other than creating a calendar event per record?
    I really hope you’ll be able to crack this, I feel sure it’ll propel tapforms to being a must have app for any serious shortcuts user. ( of which there are thousands more every day now) If you have a go and need a tester just give me a shout.

All the best
    Vikki xx

October 6, 2018 at 12:38 AM #30923

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Vikki,

On the Mac version you can use the Copy Record Link function in the Edit menu to get a copy of the link. That’s the only other way at the moment.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 3, 2018 at 9:39 AM #31571

Brex
    Participant

Hi Brendan

I’ve made some handy voice-activated Siri Shortcuts that allow me to log things/create new records in TF. My use case doesn’t require input or a selection, I have several different scripts that add specific things, without interaction being necessary.

Not sure how to wrap each of these as a new IOS Shortcut button (which is even more convenient and accurate than Siri). IOS even “suggests” my Tapforms scripts, when I go to try to write a Shortcut, but it fails and can’t find explanation for error message on the web. “IntentsErrorDomain error 1307”

More work on your side required to enable TF scripts to work with the new Shortcuts (just as Siri-enabling was required)? Or am I doing something wrong?

thanks

Brex

November 3, 2018 at 2:41 PM #31572

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Brex,

Did you watch the video in the link I posted above? That basically shows how the Siri intents works. It works only with Form Scripts and not Field scripts.

I’m not sure about that error. This is the only thing I’ve found referencing that error:

https://talk.automators.fm/t/problem-running-from-shortcuts/2154/5

I’m not sure what I need to do yet to allow Tap Forms scripts to run from within the Shortcuts app. I’m sure there’s a bunch of work I have to do.

I’ll have to work on that.

November 3, 2018 at 3:37 PM #31573

Brex
    Participant

Thanks Brendan

That video was very helpful in getting me this far. I’ve been using about a dozen Siri-driven shortcuts that Form Scripts which add new records to self-monitoring TF database – with values that are specific to the Script I evoke (through Siri). All good.

Hoping to turn each of them into IOS Shortcut buttons at some later time – Siri doesn’t work well in all scenarios, per background noise and social setting :)

thanks as always

Brex

November 3, 2018 at 7:00 PM #31578

Brendan
    Keymaster

It’s awesome that you’re getting use from Siri Shortcuts integration in Tap Forms. Sometimes you never know how things like that will be used when you build them. The Script field is a super powerful feature in Tap Forms now. So many different things you can do with it. If you have the know-how that is :)

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.