Sharing an entire database from iOS

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

AngriBuddhist
    Participant

By sharing I don’t mean multiple synchronized databases. I mean giving a database to someone else for their own isolated use.

If possible, I already know that on iOS I’d make a backup and upload it through iTunes File Sharing on my computer. From there, I assume that I’d email or upload it as I would any other file. On the receiving end, once they had the .zip, is there any particular place the file has to be saved in order for iTunes and TF to restore to an iOS device? Will this be the same for TF2?

I know that most probably have a more conventional use for TF than I do. I’m creating a db to be used while playing a game called No Man’s Sky, where you explore an entire galaxy sized galaxy and possibly an entire universe sized universe. It’s release date is Aug. 9th.

If I have the time with TF2, can continue to solve some issues and it can be shared to other iOS devices, I might upload it and offer it to Reddit’s No Man’s Sky forum which has over 50,000 subscribers.

I’m under no illusions that anyone would be interested enough to go through the steps required, including buying TF2, but if I can make it work well, I might as well share it.

May 28, 2016 at 1:59 PM #16993

Brendan
    Keymaster

The next version of Tap Forms will make this much easier as I have a new archive format which you can export and import quite easily. Right now you have to either export the records as a CSV file (and the associated template .tff file), email that and then import the .tff file and then import the CSV file. Although if you export a CSV file that includes the field types in it, Tap Forms will re-create the general form structure for you. Although the field options settings aren’t included in the CSV file, that’s why you need the separate .tff file. In the new version there’s an archive format that includes everything, even photos, file attachments, linked records, etc.

May 28, 2016 at 2:11 PM #16995

AngriBuddhist
    Participant

Excellent!

What I’d be sharing would basically be an empty db, with a complete structure, to be filled out by the user.

The exception being a How To category, with instructions particular to this db and, hopefully, web links to any TF2 vids or tutorials that you’ve stated are in the works.

Don’t know if you’re a gamer of any kind but have you heard of No Man’s Sky?

May 28, 2016 at 2:18 PM #16997

Brendan
    Keymaster

My sons play a lot of video games, so perhaps they know of it. I’ll ask them. I’m always too busy working on Tap Forms to play many games. Although I’ve always wanted to write one.

If you’re sharing an empty db, you could just share the Form Template file even in today’s version. Just use the “Email Form” function on iOS or on Mac export the Form Template and save the file, then email it to someone. It contains the complete structure of the form, including any linked form templates and all connected Pick Lists and their values. It just doesn’t include any records. There’s an Import Form Template command and on iOS if you receive a .tff file in Mail, you just have to tap on it and choose the “Open in Tap Forms” command. It will then be imported into that copy of Tap Forms.

May 28, 2016 at 2:32 PM #16998

AngriBuddhist
    Participant

I’ll have many Forms and need to also have a few How To type Records and the easier the process (like in TF2), the better.

Additionally, some of the TF2 features will be vital and there’s 70+ days until the game is released. If I do share it, there’s no immediate rush.

May 31, 2016 at 10:15 AM #17071

AngriBuddhist
    Participant

Since I’ve started so many threads lately and this is semi related, I’ll just stick it here.

Brendan,

I think I read somewhere in the forums that you were at least planning to include multiple databases in the new version, is that happening?

And then Cloudant sync, is it possible to have more than one user linked to the same account?

If both of those are true, would all users have to sync all databases? Or could they somehow choose from them?

As an example, I’m currently using TF for my own thing but if TF2 can do multiple dbs, I’d like to build a Home Inventory db and share it with my wife.

I’m unsure how the peer to peer wifi sync works. Maybe that’s a better solution?

May 31, 2016 at 10:56 AM #17076

Brendan
    Keymaster

You’re making me reveal all my secrets :-)

I think I read somewhere in the forums that you were at least planning to include multiple databases in the new version, is that happening?

Yes

And then Cloudant sync, is it possible to have more than one user linked to the same account?

Yes

If both of those are true, would all users have to sync all databases? Or could they somehow choose from them?

No. Yes.

As an example, I’m currently using TF for my own thing but if TF2 can do multiple dbs, I’d like to build a Home Inventory db and share it with my wife.

No problem.

I’m unsure how the peer to peer wifi sync works. Maybe that’s a better solution?

It’s your choice.

May 31, 2016 at 11:35 AM #17078

AngriBuddhist
    Participant

Ok. Ok.

I’ll try to not ask any more questions about TF2. Thank you for your answers.

For Home Inventory, all I care about capturing is Where things are. So many things are kept in places where they are easy to find (and cluttering up the place) or packed away where you can’t remember where they are. I’m packing everything away and capturing Where they are.

1 category
    3 forms
    1 text entry field per form
    2 total link fields

All done! I love Tap Forms!

Now all I need is Spotlight Search.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.