Sending an SMS to a phone number

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Jamie
    Participant

Hi there,

Just started using TapForms – very impressed so far. I’ve set up a simple database for a club I help run and it all seems to be working very well. I especially like the integration with the iPhone interface and functionality. That was one of the reasons for choosing TapForms over HanDBase.

One thing I was wondering, is it possible to send a txt message to phone number rather than call it? If I tap on a phone number I’m offered the ability to call it but not txt. If I create a link to a contact I can see the contact details, but again if I tap on one of the phone numbers it calls the number.

The reason for asking is if we have to cancel a training class (as we did last night) it’s very useful to be able to txt people to let them know. It’s a small club so doing one person at a time is not an issue.

BTW the Trip Log example in the manual was excellent, and I used it as a template for creating the club records as I needed a 1-to-many relationship. Thank you!

Thanks, Jamie

December 10, 2012 at 7:13 PM #5657

Ian Longley
    Participant

Hi Jamie. Like you I use TapForms as a membership database but have the contact details stored in and linked to a Contacts group. There are a number of apps out there that enable you to send SMS messages but the one I find myself using the most is Groups. It also allows you to send emails, but not with attachments. Fot this reason I now use MailShot Pro for emailing.

December 15, 2012 at 3:13 AM #5679

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Jamie,

I just tested on my iPhone 5 and when I use a Phone Number field in Tap Forms and then tap on the little phone icon that appears to the right of the phone number after I’ve entered one, I am asked if I want to Call or Text the specified number.

Do you not see that?

Thanks,

Brendan

December 19, 2012 at 3:00 AM #5722

Ian Longley
    Participant

Hi Brendan

This works for me as well but appears to be limited to sending one SMS at a time (which Jamie was not worried about doing for his club in 2010). Is there any way of sending a group SMS (or email) from within Tap Forms? If so the Groups/Mail Shot Pro extensions might not be needed.

Ian

December 19, 2012 at 12:24 PM #5728

Brendan
    Keymaster

You can tap the + button next to the phone number in the SMS compose screen that comes up, but you can’t add a whole group. That’s just a built-in component in the iOS SDK. I didn’t write that part, just called it.

Brendan

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.