Select from a list of data in another table

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Select from a list of data in another table

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Rafael Roa
    Participant

Hi,

I have a form for the computers I have in my home. And another form with a list of computer brands like HP, Apple, Compaq and so…

I want a field in my computer form where I can select one brand from the brands forms and the have it shown in the mail form.

Now, when I link forms I can select “one to many”, “many to many” and join. I think that the one that best fit my needs is join but if I use this what I see is the Id number but not the brand name.

Don’t know how to accomplish this simple task.

Thanks in advance for your help

December 29, 2020 at 9:08 PM #43011

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

I’d probably recommend using a pick list for this and setting the “brand” field of your computer form to be that pick list value. It gives you the ability to control the input plus slightly different UI functionality depending on what interaction you want. If you don’t store any extra metadata about the brand (website or logo perhaps) and only want to control the brand list to be consistent then a pick list is probably your best bet.

For the link to form approach I think I’d go for a one to many except I’d link from the brand form into the computers form and tick “show inverse relationship”. That will give you a single entry on the computers form and it will display the fields per the list view settings (by default the first couple of fields). You could do a JOIN but by it’s nature it’s a many to many type so will display a table.

January 1, 2021 at 12:27 PM #43032

Rafael Roa
    Participant

It worked like a charm but in the form it looks tabbed. Can the form aspect be changed?

January 1, 2021 at 1:29 PM #43034

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

I’m not sure I follow, do you mind sharing a screenshot of what you’re seeing and what you mean?

January 4, 2021 at 3:17 PM #43050

Rafael Roa
    Participant

Here is an example.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    January 4, 2021 at 7:51 PM #43052

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Rafael,

That’s where the form’s icon would appear.

Give those child forms an icon and you’ll see them appear there.

Thanks,

Brendan

January 6, 2021 at 3:07 PM #43092

Rafael Roa
    Participant

Cool, I didn’t know that. It looks gorgeous.

Thanks a lot to everyone

January 6, 2021 at 10:10 PM #43095

Brendan
    Keymaster

Also it’s an easy way to identify your field by the icon.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.