Searching vs. browsing when adding linked records in many-to-many relationship

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Searching vs. browsing when adding linked records in many-to-many relationship

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Linus
    Participant

Dear Brendan,

First, congratulations on a very useful and promising app. As a hobby programmer, I realise that achieving this level of polish has required lots of hard work.

When adding linked records in a many-to-many relationship on the iPad, you have the option of doing a free-text search for child records instead of just browsing them. On the Mac, I see no such option. Browsing thousands of records just to add a link is just not doable. Do you have any plans of adding such a “search-to-link” feature to the Mac edition?

Best regards,
    Linus

August 25, 2013 at 11:38 AM #6539

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ya, I definitely need to get a search field in there. I’m not sure why I didn’t since it is on the iOS version. Must have just been an oversight. Would be great if I could just click on a button and tell Xcode to build a Mac version of the iOS version, but unfortunately the Mac version is pretty much a rewrite of the iOS version, so it’s a lot of work and I must have missed that one.

I’ll add that for the next update though.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 19, 2013 at 12:30 PM #6973

Linus
    Participant

Brendan,

Are you still planning to add a search field to the Mac version (when linking records, see above)? Without it, the app’s pretty much useless to me. I can, of course, get the functionality I want from the iPad version but it’s simply not fast enough for adding lots of data.

On a side note, making “search” the default option on iPad rather than “browse” when linking records would make more sense and (I hazard) avoid at least one time-consuming lookup (on my iPad 3rd gen, it takes 3–5 seconds to get the whole list which comprises ~1000 records). Perhaps add this as an option to cater for both tastes?

This said, I really appreciate that you decided to give the iPad bug fixes top priority over the last few weeks.

Best regards,
    Linus

October 23, 2013 at 12:46 PM #7006

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Linus,

I haven’t managed to work on a search field yet for the Mac version as I’ve been focusing my attention on the new layout engine for Tap Forms Mac 2.0. But I’ll see if I can squeeze it in there.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.