Searching Multiple Fields Using ANY instead of ALL

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Searching Multiple Fields Using ANY instead of ALL

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Paula Breger
    Participant

Hi –
    I’ve just migrated over from Bento – thanks for making the process so seamless. All my libraries migrated easily, requiring only some minor tweaking of layouts.

I’m creating some saved searches to mirror the smart collections I used in Bento and have a question. In a library (sorry for the Bento terminology) of bills/expenses I have two fields: Bill Date and Due Date. I would like to create a saved search for any bill that was either issued (Bill Date) OR due (Due Date) in 2015. This would result in a slightly different group of records than a search in which both were required to be true. When creating smart collections in Bento, I could specify either that ALL search parameters must match or that ANY search parameters must match. As far as I can tell, in TapForms, the search rules must all be true for a given record to be included. Is there any way to mimic the any/all behavior from Bento?

Thanks so much!
    Paula

January 25, 2015 at 5:57 PM #12798

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Paula,

I’m very sorry but at the moment only AND style searches are possible between fields. Each field you provide in the Search Rules list will narrow your result set.

For Text and Note fields you can put “OR” (in upper case no quotes) in the search term to search for more than one possible value. But that’s not available for date fields.

Thanks,

Brendan

January 25, 2015 at 5:58 PM #12799

Brendan
    Keymaster

So essentially what you would need to do is create two separate Saved Searches. One for each condition.

Thanks,

Brendan

January 28, 2015 at 2:04 AM #12832

Grey Drane
    Participant

Is this something that could be (or is?) planned for a future update? A drop-down or checkbox at the top to select “any” or “all” would be enough, I would think (not that I’m an expert programmer), and the feature would be very helpful to me, too.

Cheers,
    Grey

January 28, 2015 at 11:29 PM #12837

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Grey,

Yes, for sure. Just have to dedicate a bunch of time to do it at some point. But it wouldn’t happen until after I work on some big database restructuring I have in the works. Although I’ve diverted my attention from that to work on Dropbox sync, which is going to take me a while.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 22, 2015 at 1:53 PM #15055

Colleen Easley
    Participant

I also am in need of an “ANY” search criteria. I tried creating a work around by using the “Does not contain” for all the criteria I don’t want included, hoping that only the ones I do want would show up. Unfortunately, the search is not obeying my rules and is including records that should have been excluded. Is there a limit as to how many search criteria you can add?

October 22, 2015 at 10:32 PM #15059

Brendan
    Keymaster

There’s no limit, but the more criteria you have, the fewer records will be returned.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.