Searching for records matching date criteria

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Searching for records matching date criteria

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Tord Larsson
    Participant

Hello,
    I would like to setup a search where I will look for records matching some date criteria, e.g. a date that is within the next two weeks.

This way I would be able to look for records that have got an expiry date that is within a certain limit.

I have searched in the forum but could not find anything related, is this type of search possible?

Best regards, Tord

October 16, 2014 at 10:38 PM #11121

Brendan
    Keymaster

Yes, you can do this sort of thing. You need to use the advanced search function though to do that. Are you using the Mac or iOS version? Or both?

In any case, there’s a button just to the left of the Search field which brings up the advanced search functions. From there you can create search rules which target specific fields and which allow you choose different comparisons such as “after”, “before”, etc.

Thanks!

Brendan

October 16, 2014 at 11:52 PM #11123

Tord Larsson
    Participant

My apologies, first post here and I did not mention all details. I use the Mac version right now.

I know of the advanced search and that you for the dates files can choose some of what you mention but i don’t understand how I can create a search that is more dynamic in the sense that it will take into consideration the “now”.

I can make a search and find records that have a date in some field that is lets say two weeks away and save that search. But if I want to perform that search a couple of days later, I need to update the search with a new date. I was looking for something in the style of e.g. $now + 2w or “Due Date – $now” < 2w.

Am I making sense? Is this possible?

October 17, 2014 at 3:24 AM #11124

Jbphil1
    Participant

Create a calculation field (say ‘Days’) with the formula: (Due Date-$now)/86400

Where Due Date is a date field in your database.

This formula will return the number of days between the due date and now. Then create an advanced search along the lines ‘Days is less than or equal to 7’ to find the records due in the next week.

Hope this helps.

John P

October 18, 2014 at 10:36 AM #11141

Brendan
    Keymaster

Thanks for chiming in John. Yes, that should work. Also in the next update for Mac, if it detects $now in a Calculation field’s formula when you view the records list, Tap Forms will now loop through all your records and update the calculation results so the values are current without you having to manually visit each record. I haven’t done that on the iOS version yet. It’s in version 3.0 for Mac which is still waiting for a review at Apple.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 19, 2014 at 11:40 PM #11166

Tord Larsson
    Participant

Hello,
    Thanks a lot, that did the trick! Much appreciated!

Best regards, Tord

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.