Searching a Record via Command-F

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Tom Banks
    Participant

In searching, using the Search field at the top right corner to locate relevant records works fine. My problem is with using Cmd-F to search within one open record. Sometimes Cmd-F will find a word I can see for myself on the screen. Good! But other times it cannot find a different word that I can also see on the screen. No matter what filters I choose (even Ignore case, Wrap around, Contains), it makes no difference. If Command-F always worked or never worked, I could deal with it. But the inconsistency has me baffled. Why can it find “Mailbox” in one text field but not “Brain” in the next text field?

September 23, 2017 at 4:46 PM #24795

Tom Banks
    Participant

A follow-up to my post on searching via Cmd-F. After more experimentation, it looks as if one might have to clear and close the Find box entirely, and then type Cmd-F again and start with a fresh query, even though one is still searching in the window that is already open. Somehow, though, that seems too odd to be right.

September 23, 2017 at 6:41 PM #24800

Brendan
    Keymaster

The generic global command-f search should find any text within your forms as long as it’s in the parent form. That is, it won’t search the child form. So maybe the values you were seeing were in some Link to Form fields?

I suppose that when you press command-f I should select all the text in the Search field so you can just type in a new value without first having to clear the Search field.

Or are you referring to Control-F? Control-F is for doing the advances find and replace function. It’s not a general search function and only works on the selected field.

September 24, 2017 at 8:59 AM #24821

Tom Banks
    Participant

Thanks, Brendan

#1. None of my forms so far have children.
    #2. The fields are all text boxes. I’m beginning to think the search finds plain text (in one-line text fields) but maybe not (or not always) in the kind of text fields that provide for multiple lines (Notes).
    #3. I am talking about the Default Layout view. In a custom view, Cmd-F doesn’t bring up a search box at all.
    #4. I’m afraid I don’t understand this. Could you rephrase it? “I suppose that when you press command-f I should select all the text in the Search field so you can just type in a new value without first having to clear the Search field.”
    #5. I was referring to Command=F (the cloverleaf), not Control-F.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.