Search on iOS very slow…

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Francois Pintnee
    Participant

Hello,
    I have around 3000 records with pictures (size of 2.6GB).
    The search process is very slow… even in the writing phase of the search criteria, i have to wait to finish typing…
    Is there any chance that in a future version, special characters could be used in search (-, space…)?
    Thank you for your help.
    Francois.

January 13, 2018 at 3:27 AM #26974

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Francois,

Can you please try running the Compact Database function on the Tools screen in the Database Maintenance area? See if that helps make the searches quicker.

If you need to search special characters you’ll need to use the Saved Searches. Tap on the filter button on the records list view to display the list of searches you’ve created previously or to create new ones.

Thanks!

Brendan

May 13, 2018 at 8:29 AM #28656

Bob Bower
    Participant

Hi Brendon, My Tapforms DB is not very slow but I do get beachballs and hangups. It would be better if faster. On the main form I use, I have 350 fields (no photo fields, just text with some calculation fields), 2,000 records and around 10 layouts.
    I use a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) with:
    2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
    8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
    with a 500GB SATA drive

Question: Would improving hardware help a lot? Secondly, would getting a SSD help a lot?

Cheers
    Bob

May 13, 2018 at 11:37 AM #28659

Brendan
    Keymaster

It’s probably the number of fields that’s causing the performance issue rather than the number of records.

An SSD will make a WORLD of difference. Not long after SSDs first came out, I replaced my spinning hard drive in one of my old MacBook Pros with an SSD and it was the single most beneficial boost to speed that I had ever seen in a Mac.

So yes, I highly recommend an SSD.

And if you can, reduce the number of fields within your form. I can’t even imaging managing 350 fields within a single form.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.