Search in linked forms

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

ivanov
    Participant

Is there a way to use the new search rules to have the app search in linked forms? I have a form with a list of books linked to another one that contains quotes extracted from the books. It would be great to be able to search the quotes in the books list (as the quotes form doesn’t explicitly tell which parent record the linked one is related to). If its not possible, is there any way to know which parent record the linked one is related to? By the way, congratulations for the new feature! It’s simply great! And opens the way to a bunch of new possibilities to use the app.

December 15, 2012 at 3:31 AM #5683

Brendan
    Keymaster

You can do this now. When you tap on the linked form you should see the new search button appear to the left of the search field. With this you can search linked forms using the new Search Rules system.

I haven’t implemented inverse relationships yet, so you can’t see which parent records the linked one is related to.

Thanks,

Brendan

December 15, 2012 at 5:20 AM #5687

ivanov
    Participant

Hi, Brendan. Actually, what I wanted to do is search the related records from the list of parent ones. In the example I gave, I wanted to search for every quotes that contain a word or phrase, not from the list of quotes, but from the list of books – so that, every book that contains a quote (linked record) matched by the search criteria would be listed, and so I would be able to navigate to the quotes by the reduced list of books.
    I think that the search mechanism would have to give the option to select the linked field to accomplish that.
    My question about “inverse relationship” was, actually, a workaround – as I can search every quote I have in the quotes form entering the search criteria in the corresponding list, but doing so I can’t figure out which book the quote belongs to.

December 16, 2012 at 12:18 AM #5689

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ah I see what you mean now. Ya, it would require the ability to select a linked field and then a field from within the linked form. Not sure about that at the moment. But I’ll think about it.

December 17, 2012 at 5:22 PM #5704

Roo
    Participant

I would also find it useful to be able to search parent records that contain specified linked data

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.