Search Chinese characters in Mac or iOS version

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Search Chinese characters in Mac or iOS version

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Leung
    Participant

Hi Brendan, how can I search Chinese characters in Mac or iOS version? Say I have a record field storing “今天我很開心”, which means “Today I am very happy”. If in English, I can find the record by searching ‘happy’, but if in Chinese, I cannot find the record by searching ‘開心’. I would say this is a very typical use case to the Asian users as the characters may not be separated by space. Please help. Thanks in advance.

February 21, 2019 at 4:25 PM #33842

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Leung,

Yes, it is a challenge to do proper searching of Asian characters. I’m currently using Apple’s built-in lexical tokenizer to figure out the word breaks.

However, I think there was a bug in it because it was only being activated if the device’s language was set to zh_CN or zh_TW. Zh_CN I thought was Simplified Chinese and zh_TW was Traditional Chinese.

I’ve just changed it to look just for zh, so that should resolve the problem for the next update no matter which variation of Chinese is being used.

With the lexical tokenizer, the phrase you provided is broken down into these separate words and indexed into the search engine with spaces in between:

今天,
    我,
    很,
    開心

The last one is the one you were looking for.

So I think the next update will allow it to work properly for you.

It will have to rebuild the entire search index the first time you do any searches though, so it might take a little while to complete the first search.

Thanks,

Brendan

February 21, 2019 at 4:35 PM #33843

Leung
    Participant

That is excellent news! Thanks a lot of your help and your very helpful and prompt assistance!

April 14, 2019 at 7:24 AM #34413

Leung
    Participant

Hi Brendan, just want to see if you have added the fix into the latest version last week? Rgds.

April 14, 2019 at 3:05 PM #34415

Brendan
    Keymaster

Yes, this fix was added a while ago. Does it still not work for you?

April 14, 2019 at 5:17 PM #34416

Leung
    Participant

Let me double check further and revert. Thanks for your prompt response as always Brendan.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.