Saving Forms as Separate Documents?

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

DrJJWMac
    Participant

I am back after a long hiatus.

I am now curious about the method to store forms in TapForms. I am creating a new form that I want to make as separate “document”. I do not want to open this form in the list of forms in TapForms. I want to store the document in a certain folder location both for ease-of-discovery and for future archival purposes.

Essentially, I am falling back on the application + document paradigm of working. I would like my form to be a document in itself, not a document “stuck” in TapForms with all my other forms.

I think the difference is that TapForms is a Photos-like app–everything (forms) is stored inside it just as all photos are stored inside Photos. I want it to work more like a Pages or Numbers app. The documents (forms) are stored separately, and the TapForms app opens them.

What are the thoughts here? How can I reconcile my need to make a single (database) document that opens with TapForms and the approach that TapForms takes to hold all documents (databases) to itself?

November 3, 2015 at 2:40 PM #15124

Brendan
    Keymaster

This is something I am actually working on right now. It’s a huge change to Tap Forms and I think it’s exactly what you’re looking for. It’s coming along very nicely so far. But it’s not ready yet. Not for quite a few months still since it’s going along with my sync upgrade too. I’ve mostly been working on the Mac version so far and I have a good bit of all that working now. I still have to migrate the iOS version over to the new format and that’ll take a few months too. When I first migrated the Mac version over to the new database format I’m working with, I couldn’t even run the app for 3 weeks because of all the compile errors. Eventually I managed to get through it all, but it definitely takes time to do.

So you’ll definitely have this feature. It’ll just be a while still.

Thanks!

Brendan

November 3, 2015 at 2:41 PM #15125

Brendan
    Keymaster

Oh, and there will be a super easy migration path to the new document based format.

Thanks!

Brendan

November 3, 2015 at 4:20 PM #15126

DrJJWMac
    Participant

This is great and very timely news!

I enjoyed TapForms since it started and I was pleasantly surprised to be able to jump back in to it today.

I look forward to the changes. They sound to be exactly what I need to secure databases for my work environment from the databases for my home environment use. Also as the size of my different databases grow, the changes sound to be what I need to lower my anxiety levels akin to “I cannot find the stuff here easily anymore”.

Thanks again for the news!

JJW

November 3, 2015 at 10:00 PM #15127

Brendan
    Keymaster

You’ll also be able to encrypt and sync database documents independently of each other.

November 6, 2015 at 12:14 AM #15134

Darrell Drury
    Participant

Good morning Brendon. Does this mean we will be able to view two forms side by side in El Capitan OSX 10.11.1.? I have a need to view and work with the forms side by side. That would be good. In the meantime I am enjoying using Tap Forms for my very large First Day Cover Collections.

November 6, 2015 at 3:18 AM #15135

Brendan
    Keymaster

Eventually yes. When I’m done with writing that. But the forms will have to be in separate documents. What I mean is, a document will be a collection of forms just like you see now. But you can open up multiple different documents at the same time with different sets of forms in them. You won’t be able to open up two forms from the same document at the same time.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.