RFE: Bento-like encrypted field

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

John Wiggins
    Participant

I am new customer, just finally imported my old Bento Databases and am very happy with my new purchase.
    If it is not already on your enhancement list, it would be nice to have a feature like old Bento’s “encrypted” field with which you could toggle the display of field contents both on screen and in printout.

Thanks, John

May 4, 2018 at 6:12 PM #28551

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi John,

Thanks for the feature request. This is a feature I used to have in the 3.x version of Tap Forms, but I took it out in Tap Forms 5 because it caused complications, especially around moving databases from one device to another or changing the encryption key. But also, Tap Forms 5 now has support for multiple documents, each that can be encrypted (or not) individually. So you can encrypt one database document and not another. That’s a good way of keeping your private information secure and your non-private information more easily accessible by you.

Thanks,

Brendan

May 4, 2018 at 7:12 PM #28552

John Wiggins
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for the prompt and detailed explanation. I put “encrypted” in quotes because it seemed a misnomer to me. (Did not realize the field was actually encrypted in Bento, assumed is was just being hidden.)

What we need is a way to obscure particular fields from screen and printouts, such as a password field. The database in question is already encrypted, and I was just asking for something to protect me from doing something stupid like printing out the info, or leaving it displayed on the screen. It is a minor thing that I could certainly live without if doing a “hide/display” of a field is difficult to implement without issues.

I do use your Auto-lock feature on Documents, and I must say it a pleasure to use such a well-engineered program. Tap Forms 5 is an improvement upon Bento, which has served me well for years.

May 4, 2018 at 7:45 PM #28553

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi John,

Ah I see. Then in Tap Forms 5 you can use the Mask Field Value function to hide a field’s contents until you click a checkbox next to the value to reveal it. If you want to hide something from the printout, then just exclude that field in the Fields tab on the Print panel.

Hopefully that’ll work for you.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.