Restoring database file from Dropbox

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Roy Cornett
    Participant

Howdy!

I am attempting to restore a database file on an iPad. The original database file was created in the Mac version and backed up to Dropbox.

The iPad version of TF is able to log into the Dropbox account, because I see the file in Import/Export section and able to download the .zip file.

However, when I click the Tools icon (the gear), then “Backup & Restore”, then the share icon (the square with the upward arrow) and the finally “Download from Dropbox”, I receive an error that states

“Unable to Connect

Tap Forms is unable to access your Dropbox files at this time. Please try again later.”

I have been trying again later for a LONG time.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

March 17, 2014 at 1:25 AM #9419

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Roy,

I’ve heard of this problem from some other customers too. I’ve attempted to reproduce the problem, but it always seems to work for me on all my devices. So the question is, what is different about your installation than mine? Perhaps you don’t have the Dropbox app installed? Have you tried logging out of Dropbox in Tap Forms and logging on again? You can do that by tapping on the Dropbox button in the Files area, then tapping the action menu button then tapping on “Logout of Dropbox”. Then login and try again.

Thanks!

Brendan

March 17, 2014 at 5:07 AM #9421

Roy Cornett
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions Brendan, but unfortunately none of those have worked.

Dropbox is installed on the iPad Mini.

I logged out of Dropbox (from the action menu in the Files area) and then attempted to Restore (after clicking “Download from Dropbox” from the action menu in the Backup & Restore area), but then the app multi-tasks to the Dropbox app and I receive a prompt asking if I would like to give permission to Tap Forms to access Dropbox. After clicking “Allow”, it multi-tasks back to Tap Forms, but just sits there with no action. I will then attempt to Restore with the “Download from Dropbox” but receive the “Please try again later” message.

I tried all of the above but after force quitting the app. I also tried logging out of Dropbox, force quitting the app, logging into Dropbox via the Files area, force quitting the app and then attempting to Restore with the “Download from Dropbox” (I thought maybe the error arose giving it the command to “Download from Dropbox” but the app forgets to do this after multi-tasking back from the Dropbox app).

I know the above was overly detailed, but thought it might help.

I am running Tap Forms Version 3.7.1 (119) on an iPad Mini (model MD537LL/A) with iOS 7.1

The only other information that I can think to include is that the Restore .zip file in Dropbox was named something other than the default naming scheme and is not saved directly in the parent directory within Dropbox but in a folder.

If there is anything else you would like me to try or other information that I can provide, please feel free to ask. I understand that it is difficult to fix bugs that you can’t seem to replicate yourself.

EDIT:

I tried moving the .zip file to the main Dropbox folder instead of it being located in a sub-folder, but have received the same result (or rather the lack thereof).

March 17, 2014 at 1:17 PM #9424

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Roy,

I find this very puzzling. I just logged out again from Dropbox on my Retina iPad mini and then logged back in again. Tapping on the Download from Dropbox button launches Dropbox, then I’m promoted to allow access. After that, Tap Forms re-launches. I’m aware that it doesn’t do anything after that and that you have to go back into the Backup & Restore screen. But tapping on the Download from Dropbox button immediately displays a list of backups that are stored in the Dropbox Backups folder within the Tap Forms folder.

I guess alternatively to Dropbox is you can use iTunes File Sharing to copy the backup file to the Tap Forms Documents area. You can also use the built-in web server or FTP server to do that. As long as the backup file is at the root of the Tap Forms Documents folder, then it will be visible within the Backup & Restore screen.

Thanks,

Brendan

March 17, 2014 at 2:14 PM #9428

Roy Cornett
    Participant

Strange.

I have tried everything that I can think of.

Unfortunately, on this particular iPad, getting it onto the iPad via iTunes File Sharing won’t work.

Is it possible to email the backup file and restore on the iPad that way? Basically, I need to get backup files to this iPad when it is in a remote location.

March 17, 2014 at 11:33 PM #9434

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Roy,

Are you on a WiFi connection when you are trying to access Dropbox from the Backup & Restore screen? I was just looking at the code and Tap Forms is doing a check to see if you have Internet access at the time you tap on the Download from Dropbox button. The thing is that it’s doing the exact same code on the Files view as it’s doing on the Backup & Restore screen.

So you’re able to see the list of Dropbox files from the Files screen but not from the Backup & Restore screen?

Thanks,

Brendan

March 21, 2014 at 5:29 AM #9463

Roy Cornett
    Participant

Yes, I am on a WiFi connection, but I have also tried it using the cellular connection to no avail.

That is correct, I can see and download the file under the Files view, but when I click “Download from Dropbox” under Backup & Restore, I always receive the can’t connect to Dropbox, try again later error.

Is there anything else you would like me to try in order to track down the bug?

March 21, 2014 at 2:51 PM #9467

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Roy,

Do you have a folder in your Dropbox account called “Tap Forms” and within that one called “Backups”? I just tried renaming the “Tap Forms” folder to “Tap Forms old” and when I tried to access the files in Backup & Restore then I get that same error.

Thanks,

Brendan

March 21, 2014 at 2:54 PM #9468

Brendan
    Keymaster

If not, can you try uploading a backup file there from within the Tap Forms Backup & Restore screen?

Thanks,

Brendan

March 21, 2014 at 3:01 PM #9471

Roy Cornett
    Participant

I think we might be at the heart of the problem.

I don’t have any folder named Tap Forms within my Dropbox account. This backup file was created on the Mac version of Tap Forms and I saved it directly to Dropbox.

So, should I try creating a folder at root called Tap Forms, then a folder within that called Backups, and then placing the backup in that location?

Or, should I create a backup of a test database and then upload it to Dropbox. I assume that would create the necessary file structure.

I will try both and let you know if it works.

March 21, 2014 at 3:13 PM #9472

Roy Cornett
    Participant

We are getting closer.

I created a dummy database, created a backup and uploaded to Dropbox. It created the file structure that you mentioned above. I then moved the backup created on the Mac into this folder within the Dropbox app.

Now, when I choose Backup & Restore, I can see the proper backup file and can select it for download. It will give me a status indicator showing the download progress (which is very quick) and then it finishes.

Unfortunately the database I was looking for isn’t showing up in the list of forms.

Any ideas?

March 21, 2014 at 3:16 PM #9473

Roy Cornett
    Participant

I just realized that after I choose the backup file from Dropbox and it downloads, it is not appearing in the list of backup files under the main Backup & Restore menu.

March 22, 2014 at 5:44 AM #9481

Roy Cornett
    Participant

Any idea why the database isn’t appearing in Restore area after I am able to download it?

March 22, 2014 at 10:13 AM #9482

Roy Cornett
    Participant

UPDATE: Solved the Problem.

I want to update this thread so that if anyone else is having the same problem they can fix it.

The backup file created on the Mac version of Tap Forms and saved to Dropbox was named something like CampingMasterBackupTF.zip

I had the iPad version of Tap Forms create a backup file and upload same to Dropbox. It was called something like TF-Charles’s iPad-2014-03-22T12-50-26.zip

I then logged into Dropbox, wrote down the exact name of the backup file uploaded from the iPad. Deleted that file and renamed the backup file created on the Mac to the name of the now deleted backup file from the iPad.

Then back in Tap Forms on the iPad, I choose Backups & Restores from the Tools menu, then selected “Download from Dropbox” from the action menu (the square with the upward arrow located in the upper righthand corner). You will be presented with a list of the files in that folder on Dropbox. I choose the backup file created on the Mac but now renamed to match the earlier backup file uploaded from the iPad.

It downloaded without any problem and appeared as a file in the primary section of Backups & Restore. Simply choose that file, then press Restore and accept the warning.

I hope that helps.

And remember folks, there is a special place in hell for people that post a problem in a forum, solve the problem and don’t post their solution in the original thread.

March 22, 2014 at 4:20 PM #9483

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Roy,

Thanks for responding with your solution.

The reason you didn’t see the backup file appear in the list of backups in Tap Forms is because Tap Forms looks for files that begin with “TF-” and end with “.zip”. Since I’m not using a specials Tap Forms file extension and just using “.zip”, I use the “TF-” prefix to identity Tap Forms backup files. So you could have called the file “TF-CampingMasterBackupTF.zip” and Tap Forms would have recognized it.

So the main trick to getting Dropbox working from the Backup area is requiring the “Tap Forms” folder to be at the root of your Dropbox account folder. A few other people have told me that Dropbox wasn’t working for them on that screen either, but I never could reproduce the problem. I had the “Tap Forms” folder already there, so that’s why I didn’t see it. Uploading a backup there would automatically create it. I guess I never considered someone wanting to download from Dropbox before they had uploaded to it from their iPhone or iPad. I guess I should auto-create that folder if they don’t have it when they tap on the Download button.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.