Reset iCloud Sync?

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

TEIB
    Participant

We were having issues when we would open Tap Forms because it would open and start syncing and get stuck, so had to force quit and not use it.

We have one other computer with Tap Forms on the same iCloud account so that they can share the data. This copy on the other computer appears to be working fine and the data is showing.

So, I deleted the application (through launchpad) on the computer that it is not working on and re-installed today. I want to import all of the data from before – the data that is on the other computer and stored in iCloud.

What are the best steps from here to ensure the data is replaced with the correct data from the cloud instead of overwriting what is correct with the starter/filler data that comes with the initial instal of the app?

Do I Reset iCloud Sync? Keep Enable iCloud Sync checked? etc.

Thanks!!

November 1, 2014 at 3:21 AM #11527

Brendan
    Keymaster

If you Reset iCloud Sync, that will delete any data stored in iCloud used in the sync process. This does not include photos, file attachments, etc. It does include the registration files and the data sync files. If you Reset iCloud Sync, you’ll need to re-enable iCloud sync on each device, then click the upload button from the one device which has the data as you want it to be.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 3, 2014 at 11:38 AM #11574

TEIB
    Participant

Thanks for your response. Based on this info, I’m glad we didn’t reset iCloud sync and we won’t do this because we don’t want to delete the data stored in iCloud – we want to download it to the newly installed tap forms.

So, don’t understand what to do to get the data from iCloud into the new installation. Right now Keep Enable iCloud Sync is checked on both computers (as it was when we re-installed the app).

Please let me know the clear steps to download what is on iCloud to the newly installed tap forms.

Appreciate your help!

November 3, 2014 at 9:53 PM #11584

Brendan
    Keymaster

Well if you have a device that has all the data you need, it doesn’t really matter if you reset iCloud sync. You simply need to re-enable iCloud sync on each device and then tap/click the upload to iCloud button on the device that has all the data.

But other than that, if you just enable iCloud sync on a device, it should auto-download everything that’s in iCloud at that time. You may need to reboot your device to give iCloud Drive a kick in the arse. :-) I had to do that just today because nothing was syncing.

It’s not just me either:

iOS 8.1 and iCloud Issues

Thanks,

Brendan

November 4, 2014 at 1:49 PM #11608

TEIB
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

Thanks so much for your message – this makes sense. However, our Tap Forms is still having issues and we can’t get things up and running.

So, both computers have 3.0 installed and are on the same iCloud account.

For the computer that has Tap Forms with all of the data on it (let’s call it iMac 1), we can uncheck enable iCloud sync and it will disappear from the list. For the computer that doesn’t have the data but needs the data (let’s call it iMac 2), we uncheck enable iCloud sync and it doesn’t stick – it rechecks it on its own.

Also, for iMac 2, it shows in this window that it is running version 2.2.3 (please see attachment). It is running version 3.0 as confirmed by going into About Tap Forms in the menu.

Also, on iMac 2, it is showing all of your example forms. I’ve gone through and deleted these several times and every time we re-launch Tap Forms they have magically returned.

We decided to try to re-check enable iCloud sync on iMac 2 and then click the upload to iCloud button as suggested above. We received an error message that the sync failed (please see attachment).

From our understanding of your first message above, if we reset the iCloud sync it would delete our data – which would be a disaster and make us cry.

Please let us know the steps so that we can get this to work. Do we need to reinstall Tap Forms on iMac 2 again? Which computer do we do which steps on. Please list the steps.

Thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    November 5, 2014 at 11:35 AM #11616

TEIB
    Participant

Please let us know our options here – if everything deletes, can we restore from a saved point and it come in exactly the same?

Appreciate your help!

November 5, 2014 at 8:34 PM #11623

Brendan
    Keymaster

Reset iCloud Sync simply deletes all the sync files that Tap Forms generates during the sync process. It won’t delete your data from your database, so no worries there. I would recommend you do that actually. In fact, do it on each device, although technically you should only have to do it on one device.

After you reset iCloud sync, re-enable iCloud on each device.

Then once both Macs show up in the list of Registered Devices, click on the upload to iCloud button on ONE of your Macs. Wait for the other one to auto-sync.

Now, to get rid of the Synchronization Failed error, please make sure you have the same encryption key set on each copy of Tap Forms.

Please see this topic for instructions on how to do that because there’s a bug in version 3.0 for Mac which prevents the Set Encryption Key button from working. I’ve fixed it for the next update.

Set Encryption Key not working on Mac 3.0

Thanks!

Brendan

November 7, 2014 at 3:59 PM #11652

TEIB
    Participant

This really helped! We finally seem to be back up and running!! Thank you so much for your help:)

November 10, 2014 at 5:09 AM #11681

Onno Rijpstra
    Participant

Hello Brandan,

My compliments for your masterwork. We use TapForms dayly and would not want to miss this super tool for our small business anymore. Also way, way better than Bento in the past. However, we have two macbook pro’s with the same icloud account. Two ipad’s and two iphone’s. We have never managed to get sync to work. Yes we will see devices but the data have never been consistant the same on two devices or more. I get the feeling the sync feature simply does not work properly. There is one thing I do which might cause problems however? Because we use TapForms on two macs and we are not capable of getting sync to work, I copy the database folder from the mac users library containers folder. Because by simply copy pasting this folder to the other mac all data is 100% certain copied and consistent.

So I created empty fresh tapform on one mac, reset icloud sync, then created sync on one mac with all data in database. Then iphone sees sync, says it syncs, but data is not consistend the same. Ipad the same story.

We sinceraly hope that maybe there will be a way to sync in the near future that will work…

November 10, 2014 at 1:16 PM #11686

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Onno,

I’ve release version 3.9.2 for iOS and I’m still waiting for version 3.0.1 to be reviewed by Apple, but hopefully they will resolve your sync issues. I worked on that somewhat and tweaked some things here and there, so hopefully it will improve the situation for you.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 10, 2014 at 1:26 PM #11690

Onno Rijpstra
    Participant

Thanks for your quick reply. Coincidently i got one iphone synced correctly today. No luck with the ipad and 2nd mbpro yet. We appreciate your work and will patiently wait for the next update.

Keep up the good work!

Onno

November 24, 2014 at 1:55 PM #11918

TEIB
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

Downloaded version 3.0.1 today and we are excited to start using it! Thanks!!

When I updated, Tap Forms had a similar issue to the last time I had updated too – the app got stuck syncing when opening and had to be force quit. So, we followed the same steps as before. I deleted Tap Forms from the Launchpad, reinstalled it on this computer, and then unchecked enable iCloud sync. We then unchecked enable iCloud sync on our 2nd computer, updated Tap forms version there, clicked reset iCloud sync button, restarted Tap Forms on both computers, and then checked enable iCloud sync on both computers.

One of the computers (the one that still has the data) isn’t showing in the registered devices on the other computer. We restarted Tap Forms, checked/unchecked enable sync, and reset iCloud sync multiple times, hoping it would start showing. Since the computer with the data isn’t showing in the registered devices, no data is syncing to the other computer.

Please let us know what we can do to get the computer to show in registered devices so that we can be back up again.

Thanks!!!

November 24, 2014 at 4:04 PM #11919

TEIB
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

Just got it to sync!

Maybe we need to update the OS from Mavericks and, before installing any Tap Form updates in the future, we need to uncheck enable sync to prevent this from happening again.

Grateful that it is syncing now and looking forward to getting the address book in there.

November 25, 2014 at 2:51 AM #11930

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi TIEB,

Well, definitely you can’t sync between Mavericks and Yosemite, so that may have been one issue for you. Another issue may have been not giving iCloud enough time to propagate changes from one device to the other.

When you Reset iCloud Sync, Tap Forms is simply deleting a folder called SyncDocuments which is inside the Tap Forms iCloud container (within the ~/Library/Mobile Documents folder). It’s the same folder on each device, so if you’re deleting it from multiple devices at relatively the same time, then iCloud may get locked up. So it’s best to do one at a time. Wait for the other devices’ list of Registered Devices to clear.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 25, 2014 at 4:18 PM #11963

TEIB
    Participant

Thanks!!

Also, good to know that you can’t sync between a computer on Mavericks and a computer on Yosemite.

Appreciate your help!

December 5, 2014 at 1:38 PM #12133

TEIB
    Participant

The iCloud sync has locked up again. It is stuck syncing when we try to open the app. How can we stop the sync once it is locked and fix this issue?

Thanks!

Viewing 15 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.