Renaming a file or document

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Bob Bower
    Participant

Hi All, I know this sounds daft but I can’t see a way to rename a tap forms database file or document. Since I began it has been named “Imported” and I can’t see a Save As or a way to rename it. saving it as an archive gives me that naming ability but then when I try and open the file that I renamed “Marinas and Waterway TAP FORMS MARCH 25 2017.tfarc” it comes up with a message saying Tap Forms doesn’t open that kind of document. I need to rename because when I open Tap Forms freshly, I keep forgetting to go to my latest version—so I want (need) to give that newest database file (or document) a distinct name… …instead of merely “Imported”. Also, I feel a bit unsafe deleting all the old “Imported” files or documents just in case I delete my newest good version.

Thanks,

Bob

March 25, 2017 at 12:03 PM #21707

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Bob,

Close the document you want to rename, then on the main Database Documents window, click the (i) button to display the Document Info side panel. You can rename it there.

Or you can use the Finder to rename the .tapforms document. But make sure you close the document first before you rename it.

March 26, 2017 at 2:00 AM #21714

René van Glabbeek
    Participant

And how should I do this on the iPhone?

I would like to split my database. Too many forms and getting big.
    So I would think of copying my database, rename 1 and delete the forms I do not need in that database. Then do the same with the forms that are double in the other database.

But I cannot change the name on the iPhone. so syncing is not working then.

March 26, 2017 at 4:03 AM #21716

Jim Burgess
    Participant

To rename a document on the iPhone:

1. On the Documents screen, tap the “Info” icon at the lower left.
    2. Tap the document to be renamed.
    3. On the Document Info screen, edit the document name then tap Save at the top-right.

March 26, 2017 at 12:02 PM #21720

Brendan
    Keymaster

Oh don’t duplicate your document, rename it, then modify it.

If you’ve been syncing, then each document will have the same internal Document ID. If you do that you’ll have a problem because when you start deleting from one document you’ll end up deleting the data from the other document once sync kicks in.

If you want to split up your document into smaller documents, visit the records list screen for a form, then tap on the action menu button. Then tap on Export Tap Forms Archive.

That’ll make a .tfarc file and it will be stored in the Files area under the Exports folder.

Now, close the document you’re working on by tapping on the close button at the top-left of the My Forms screen. Then tap the + button to create a new document. Open it up and then navigate to the Files area in the Tools area. Then into the Exports folder. Now tap on the .tfarc file you exported. Tap the “Import Archive” option.

Do that for every form you want to move into a new document. You can of course import multiple .tfarc files into the same document, so you don’t need a separate document for each, but you can if you want.

Thanks,

Brendan

March 27, 2017 at 10:46 AM #21742

René van Glabbeek
    Participant

Thanks Brendan

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.