Remove tags from Export

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

javelin200
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

I have two questions that I couldn’t find in the forum. I’ll post each as a different topic.

I’m wondering if there is a way to remove the tags from the header row in the export feature. For example, I would like to use the functionality of tapforms to create a field that is a number and a currency. However, when I export the record, the header row has the appropriate title, but is amended with a tag between these symbols <>. My record called Pledge Amount becomes Pledge Amount<number> when exported. Is it possible to turn off the tagging on the export? I’m unable to import the data into my database on my mac due to the tag.

February 16, 2011 at 5:50 PM #4427

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Javelin,

At the moment there isn’t a way to do that. I would have to add that as an option in the Import / Export Settings screen. I’ll consider that. For now I guess you’d have to load the file up in a text editor like TextWrangler or something to remove the tags first.

Thanks,

Brendan

February 16, 2011 at 7:02 PM #4429

javelin200
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for considering this option. This would really help in being able to make a “mobile” copy of a database on our computers. Currently, I can easily get the data into tapforms, but I can’t sync the data back easily because of the tags. I’m sure there’s an easy way with apple script or macros or something to strip the headers of the tags, but I’m not much of a programmer. A field in the export options such as “export without header tags” would be fantastic. Thanks for all your hard work!!

March 2, 2011 at 7:07 PM #4487

rcampbellwhite
    Participant

Please add my name to the list of those keen to see an industry standard export format or two supported by Tap Forms.

Like many others that will use this excellent product I am taking it with me into the field to capture details that will subsequently be loaded into a corporate database (in my case SQL Server). Automation is everything in this situation; there will soon be multiple staff carrying their iPads around to gather data and I need to develop an ETL process to bring in that data from their surveys.

The header tags are the least of my problems though; what’s more pressing is a way of exporting Tap Forms data with relationships clearly defined between parent and child records in the case of fields that reference another form. I’m sure you must be maintaining a key internally in order to facilitate the related child records when viewed in Tap Forms? If so, is this data in a form that can easily be included in the export file?

In an ideal world I’d like to export as XML so that child data can be embedded in its parent in a single file. I would also settle for one CSV file per form with consistent keys that would allow me to reunite child records with their parents during my ETL process.

With the record key/export file format issue addressed I will be able to move forward with Tap Forms as my product of choice for a mobile data capture platform.

Very interested in your thoughts on this Brendan as this is something I can see more and more people asking for as they begin to realise the power of your application out in the field on iPad.

Beyond that there are other nice to haves that would make this user a very happy customer indeed:

• Field grouping on forms, i.e. subheadings and lines/boxes
    • Required field enforcement
    • More in the way of validation, i.e. valid value range on numeric fields

Regards, and thanks for bringing such a great product to market for us.

Rob

March 9, 2011 at 9:48 AM #4514

rcampbellwhite
    Participant

Hi Brendan, just bumping this topic to see if you have any thoughts on the above?

Rob

March 9, 2011 at 9:50 AM #4515

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Rob,

Those are all great suggestions. I am currently working on improving the edit record screen (as well as adding a calculation field type). The improvements to the foundation of the edit record screen will pave the way to let me add field grouping and hopefully some required field enforcement. The other things will come in time I hope.

Thanks!

Brendan

January 25, 2012 at 3:04 PM #5044

rcampbellwhite
    Participant

Hi Brendan – it’s been 10 months since this thread was last touched – just wondering if you have an update on plans to bring the TapForms export features in line with some industry standards, i.e. a CSV file without data types in the header?

Also, do you plan to support exporting data in linked tables? My table has two linked fields and I’d like to be able to export all three tables in a format that can easily be imported into a SQL Server database. Would be v grateful to hear your suggestions on this?

Rob

January 26, 2012 at 9:00 AM #5045

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Rob,

I’ve just added the ability to turn on and off field type tags in the header row of the CSV file export. It will be available in the 2.1.12 update.

As for exporting linked forms, it’s a very popular request, but I’m not ready to tackle that yet as it’s a big job. Mostly because the bigger job I’m tackling right now is Tap Forms Mac.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.