Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad › Forums › Tap Forms Template Exchange › Reminder Calendar
February 17, 2020 at 4:02 AM #39576
This is a somewhat crude template, but I have posted it here, following a request elsewhere in the forum.
This form was created in order to allow me to be reminded of items which may require attention on any or all of the following frequencies:
– on a given day of the week
– on a given day of the month.
Note that I never put anything in for the 29th monthly or beyond, as that item would not appear in February, and anything for the 31st would not appear in several months. I am sure that further development could be done to allow such items to appear on the last day of the month, however many days there were in that month.
I have not extended this to include anything due annually – someone may wish to do this.
Two additional sub-forms are needed, Days in Month and WeekDay Number, and these are attached, with their records.
When you fill in a new record, you only select ONE of the following:
Due Weekday (select from the drop-down list)
OR Due Daily (tick the box)
OR Due Date (enter the due date monthly)
The two fields whose names start Calc are auto calculated fields, and will show if a record is due to show on a particular day, taking into account the date held on the computer OS.
The Due Sorting field allows you to select a sorting list. I use it to prioritise the order in which records appear in the Queries / Advanced Search.
A few things to note:
– When you import Reminder Calendar.tff, this will also import empty versions of the two sub-forms. Because of my lack of expertise in TapForms, I’m not sure whether you can copy and paste the records from the separate sub-forms I have attached into these blank sub-forms, or whether you will need to enter the details manually. Perhaps someone with more expertise can advise, by adding to this post.
– There are several hidden fields, which are used in order to populate cells, and which are used in the two Queries / Advanced Search to list those record due “Today” and “Yesterday”. I included the latter, in case I forgot to look at the table one day.
– I fully acknowledge that this works in a very crude way. I’m sure someone would be able to improve the working of this. Also, there may well be fields which are no longer needed. Sorry!
– Very very very occasionally, I do find that this does not give the results I am expecting. For example, MacOS may give the correct result on one day, but iOS does not (or vice versa). I have tried to understand why, and have totally failed on this.
Do remember that in order for this to work (under MacOS, or under iOS), you do need to recalculate all records every time, before selecting the appropriate Query / Advanced Search.
If you do make improvements to this, and attach a new version, do please include instructions on how to transfer existing records from an old version to your new version.
I hope that this proves of use.
With best wishes, John
Attachments:You must be logged in to view attached files.July 19, 2020 at 5:54 AM #41377
That is an incredible amount of calculations you’ve managed there. I’m still trying to figure out how you made it all work. Reminds me of some spreadsheets I’ve created.
I’m attaching an equivalent form done with scripts merely for comparison. It’s a different solution, not necessarily a better solution.
Attachments:You must be logged in to view attached files.July 23, 2020 at 8:41 AM #41478
Thanks. Yes, it did take a lot of time, and sometimes I have to think back to work out how it calculates, if I want to make a change. So far, once I got it working, I left it alone. If it ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it! If anyone can find a shorter way to calculate it, that would be good.
Thanks for the script version. Although I used to code regularly in Visual Basic, I’ve never got into scripting. I must try it some time. I fear it won’t be for a while, as we are trying to downsize our housing at present, so I don’t have a lot of time for computing!
With best wishes, John
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.